AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to play some of my original DVD-R's and they're reporting CRC errors! Maybe they're only compatible with my original DVD recorder? I can get most of the files off, and I'll try using other DVD drives to copy the remaining files. But if this simple process doesn't work, can anyone suggest a good program for testing/reading a DVD disc? I'm thinking of something like 'Spinrite for DVDs'.

·
Registered
471 Posts
 http://club.cdfreaks.com/

Everythig you could want to know on the matter is there, somewhere. I've had some success with 321-Studios in recovery, but I haven't used it in a while and IIRC they're out of business and IQ was always pretty marginal. You might try copying chapters to see what's bad with DVD shrink or CloneDVD.

In the future, make sure you have quality media which will affect both initial quality and life. I generally try and stick with Taiyo Yuden rebadges, you can almost always find a sale somewhere. Look for the "Made in Japan" label.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I would try DVDDecrypter in File Mode first. Maybe you'll need to fiddle with the error re-try settings. I think IsoBuster also has some recovery capabilities.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
You can try something free like CDCheck, they check DVDs also, they attempt to recover bad data by multiple re-reads etc. It's not magic but it can recover some things that explorer won't due to giving up more readily than CDCheck. CDRoller does the same thing I believe. Some really messed up discs can take half a day or more to attempt to recover so don't bother unless it is data that you really need. It will be much quicker to back up your software again instead of recover a backup. Obviously if you no longer have the original that would be a problem and something we can't discuss on these boards.

If they are data discs and they are like personal documents, I wouldn't risk them on low quality media, so if you can retrieve them, re-burn them using better media.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
707 Posts
If I can be excused for not mincing words and pretending and just talk plainly, it sounds as if you don't own the source material or you would be playing that instead or just make a new copy from it, considering that blank DVDs can be had for a quarter. The obvious and easiest solution is rent the disc. Get a month movie pass at BB or HV and you are out ten of fifteen bucks to replace all your illicit material.

>>Atomic Cow awaits the predictable chastisement that these are precious home videos of my son and my wedding. How dare I suggest you copied studio DVDs.>>

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually they're my own personal legal copies of HD broadcasts. I have a MyHD recorder and I used to have a Hipix. It's some of the old Hipix recordings that I'm discovering are corrupt.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I think the best thing to do is try reading the discs in lots of different drives. You'll find that some drives just do a good job with some discs. There is no apparent pattern.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.