Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to spend under $200

Key feature needed is macros with programmable delays up to.. i dunno... 60 seconds? long enough for playing a custom intro, then switching to the movie and such.

I've been reading manuals, searching forums, etc.. and am kind of fuzzy on the software differences between the Pronto Neo/1000/2000... I know the Neo (my current first choice) looks like a good one-handed remote with tactile buttons and a touchscreen but why is it so much less?

Has anyone programmed macros with extensive delays on the sony remotes or the home theater remotes like the mx-500? It looks like maximum delay on the mx-500 is only 3 seconds. :(

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
shameless bump. :(

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Waldorf,

I have a NEO, and I looked at the pronto line quite a bit so I feel like I can answer your question pretty well.

Why is it so much cheaper:

1. Less memory than the others

2. Smaller LCD screen than the others

3. My guess is less money spent in development and support

4. less demand

There is different software for it than the 1000/2000 and neoedit is not nearly as good/versatile/stable as prontoedit.

That said - I have made my NEO do everything that I have ever wanted it to do. That includes control of multiple components (~9 I think), control of X-10 devices, control of HTPC apps, etc.

That is not to say that everything just jumped in there - I had to fight it to make it do some things. The good thing is that there are a lot of other people (mostly at remotecentral.com) fighting it too... There are lots of workarounds and some 3rd party software stuff to make it do virtually anything. It is true that the regular pronto has a larger collection of ccf's to be had on the net, but with some of the user created software for the neo, one can use any of the codes from ccf's as well as ncf's.

Long story short, I have been pleased with it. I think that I might like the 3000 better when it comes out, but that next step will always be lurking out there somewhere won't it?

good luck,

David

·
Registered
245 Posts
Waldorf,

I use an iPaq PDA and PDAWin's TV Remote Controller 5.1 (with a CF IR Extender).

I just took a look at my CCF file and it looks like I can set a delay of up to 99.9 seconds.

Of course, I am using Pronto Edit software to program the CCF file, so I'm sure the Pronto remotes can do the same thing.

Regards. Jay.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have a ProntoNEO and pretty much agree with everything David posted. Once you learn how to use the software NEOEdit you can set up quite involved macros. You can set up quite long delays if needed. They way that macros are set up you can easily set up very long delays. i.e.

Turn on DVD

wait 5 seconds

turn on amps

wait 10 seconds

turn on scaler

turn on progector

start DVD player

wait 3 minutes

dim lights

start movie

I have a Faroudja scaler that seems to be very sensitive to IR activity that occurs too soon after a command is sent. It's also a bit IR retarded and cannot accept sequential commands too quickly. Easily handled by adding delays between commands.

I like having some hard buttons. It is easier (personal preference) to use hard buttons when the lights are off. I haven't used the ProntoEdit but I understand it is better than the NEOEdit. After using the NEO I may buy the 3000 when it comes out, but only as an addition and not a replacement to the NEO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys! I think remotecentral.com is where I read the '3 second delay' limitation about the MX-500 and was wondering if any owners had hit that as a barrier or if you could hack your way around it and stack delays...

Looks like the neo is ~$140 and the TSU2000 is ~180 (refurb)... Hmm... I think I actually prefer the look and feel of the Neo though, and after reading what has been written about it here, I think it will serve me nicely.

XRay... I tried that back in the day with my palm pilot, but without the gigantic IR extender, I had to be around 4 feet away so while it was neat, it was pretty impractical. :) Would be cool if they just made PDAs with a 30 foot IR range.

Thanks again everyone... Looks like the Neo for me. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.