AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just finished my upgrade from RF RC 52 to RF7 + RC64 + RB51 for surrounding setting, and feeling great. Probably will upgrade my surrounding later... I am running my old HK AVR 1710 (100Wx7) for my setting and bi-passing my DirecTV through Xbox One for watching TV. Yesterday, I played the first Blu-ray movie since upgrade and felt the volume is quite small on this movie. I mean compare to the volume I set for TV (-35db to -40db), I have to run my volume to around -25db to achieve kind of acceptable sound. I didn't try anything above -25db last night bc I don't want to clip my receiver and blow out my speakers. I am not sure if this is because my speakers are under powered? Should I upgrade my receiver or get a pre pro combo system? If so, what would be a good match for my setup? Budget wise, I would say under 1.2k now, because I just dealt with wife issue and probably out of new excuses to convince her...

Thank you!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have exactly same set up LCR and when I powered it with Marantz SR5008, I felt it is under powered. I got a external amp for LR and there is a significant difference (not just higher volume).

I would look at outlaw Model 975/7125 Combo or Model 975/5000 Combo in that price range

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You could go with a emotiva XPA3 to power the 3 channels L C R or something similar.

I have an HK 3700, I went with the Emotiva XPA-3 to power front 3 and it made little to no difference(although I still run it for shiz and giggles)

To answer your question, try borrowing any amp from a friend and see if it has any impact on your sound, if you like it, buy one. I'm always for having more power even if only needed once in a while, and it will relieve the stress on your 1710(Not familiar with the specs on this one).

Some will tell you have no need with Klipsch high efficient speakers, others will tell you they hear night and day difference. Test and decide for yourself, as I did. I noticed no difference but kept in anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts