AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm somewhat familiar with the Grafik Eye devices, but I'd like more than 6 zones / dimming channels. I'd also like something less obtrusive / smaller in the HT. I would prefer a small basic wall mounted keypad with basic scene control where the actual dimmer units can be remotely mounted out of the way and can be also controlled via IR.

Since my HT is not a retrofit I don't need devices that communicate wireless, or over the power lines. I can run CAT5 or similar around. I'm not looking for whole house integration or putting the devices really far apart. They'd all be in the vicinity of a ~15' x ~22' room.

I know there are inline dimmers and keypads for Insteon based systems and UPB based systems, but I've seen a lot of posts suggesting Insteon is unreliable, and it doesn't seem like there aren't a lot of choices for UPB devices.

Are there any reliable lighting solutions that support more than 6 zones that allow the dimmers to be remotely located and controlled by a small keypad & IR?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Grafik Eyes can be run in series. I will have 3 of them to give me 18 zones. You can mount them in a remote location like an unfinished storage area. Then you can place single gang touch pads wherever you need them. The touch pads have 6 or so scen buttons on them. All you need to do is run all the line voltage romex from the lights to the Grafik Eye location (unfinished storage) instead of the standard wall switch location. Then, run a cat5e cable from the Grafik Eye location to where you want the single gang wall station/touchpad. Here are two of my 3 GE boxes located right next t othe subpanel in what will be an unfinished storage location.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two GE's in series certainly isn't a cheap option.
Then again, I'm not sure there are any cheap options.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude /forum/post/18302976

Two GE's in series certainly isn't a cheap option.
Then again, I'm not sure there are any cheap options.

Cheap is a relative term. I weighed it against a Control4 system. It was cheaper to run 3 GEs in series than to go with a Control4 setup for my particular needs.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is Lutron in the midst of a shuffle in their Line? There don't seem to be too many places still selling the GRX products anymore (at least online).
Is the QS the replacement product, or is something else going on?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Insteon is the easy solution.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Control4 all the way. You can mount your actual switches anywhere and have a 6 button single gang scene switch. You can have them programmed for any scene you would like and have the buttons labeled. It them communicats wireless to the other units. Of coarse you would need a control unit but you can find them online for around 250 and then you can use it to automate you system also.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb /forum/post/18305103

Control4 all the way. You can mount your actual switches anywhere and have a 6 button single gang scene switch. You can have them programmed for any scene you would like and have the buttons labeled. It them communicates wireless to the other units. Of coarse you would need a control unit but you can find them online for around 250 and then you can use it to automate you system also.

So you need dimmers , a keypad , and a controller ?

Doesn't seem any cheaper than connecting two GE's, and since it's wireless in the 900MHz band you've got that to worry about.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude /forum/post/18305173

Doesn't seem any cheaper than connecting two GE's, and since it's wireless in the 900MHz band you've got that to worry about.

That was my conclusion. I would have spent more on Control4.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude /forum/post/18305141

Is it reliable?

Yes. I have my entire house programed by Insteon.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude /forum/post/18305173

??? All depends on if you are going to use it as a system controller. I havent priced insteon so I can't compare but with what you were looking to have for your room it sounds like C4 is your cheapest option to fit your needs. You can get it done cheaper but you will only be controlling the lights. If thats all you want maybe the Insteon would work better or even the g eye. I will say that the 6 button keypad is super easy to run and has a high WAF

·
Registered
522 Posts
+1 for Control4. It may seem expensive if you are only thinking about its use as a lighting control system, but when you realize that you can use it as also as a bulletproof universal remote, media organizer, HVAC control, security cameras, etc., etc., it can do a lot. Its not for everyone but I'm just saying that it does more than lighting, something to think about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts