AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I am a newbie member here. I am also very new to speakers/recievers and such. I tried looking for a similar post here but the search din't anything specific to my needs, so making a new post. Please be gentle

I am moving to a new place and want to have a decent 2.0 system. I will be living with roommates and do not have the room (or the budget) for fancy setups. My max budget would be about $200-300 (I know, I know, not enough but do read on). I will be using this system with my computer mostly for music (and the occasional movie). I listen to classical and rock, not sure if that info helps.

I looked at "computer" speakers like the creative i-trigue and gigaworks T20/T40 but I don't know if I'd be better off buying bookshelf speakers (like the polk audio monitor 30) and a used (or a new) reciever for better quality (and future upgradeability when I move out and have a place for myself in about 1.5 years or so). Would something like this be a good route, or am I better off buying computer speakers?

If buying speakers like polk 30 and a reciever is the way to go, what do you suggest for me? I don't buying used stuff as long as they are in good condition, but as I mentioned earlier I am a total newbie and have no idea what to buy. Your suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!

· Registered
59 Posts
As the previous poster mentioned, get a cheap amp and spend the rest on speakers. Computer speakers are generally OK, and they're nice and compact for the most part. But it sounds like you want to upgrade at some point in the near future and that's not really possible with computer speakers.

Have a look at Audioengine if you decide to go the computer speaker route.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson6972 /forum/post/16845081

check out insignia stereo receivers, you can probably get one for less than $50 on fleabay. then buy the best bookshelf speakers you can afford

Isnt insignia the same as sherwood 1409? I can get them new for about $90 in my local radioshack. I just checked them out yesterday! That along with the polk 30 sounds like a nice route indeed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.