AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my denon 3808ci for about 1-1.5 years now based on the recs here. I love it. My speakers and sub have always been subpar(no pun intended). I am looking to upgrade. I mainly use this for home theater and less so for music but do use it for such on occasion. I use the full 7.1 setup. My two fronts are B&W LM1s, and all others are some cheap polk stuff(like $150 for the whole 5.1 setup from 8 years ago).

I am trying to decided what speakers work well with this receiver. The room is rectangular and large. The fronts will be at one end of the room and the rear channels all the way on the opposite end. Hardwood floors with 2 small area rugs. Sheetrocked except for a couple of windows. My center channel HAS to be horizontal(I have heard vertical is better) and small enough to fit in a cabinet(it can be about the same size as the 3808 as a maximum depth and width but not quite as high.) I don't know whether to sell all that I have and buy better ones or to try to complete the system with the LM1s. I have heard that it is best to use the same speaker for FL, FR, and center.(This won't work if I keep the LM1s because the LM1 wouldn't fit in my center channel space.) I have heard it is best to use speakers from the same manufacturer in the same line. I am lost. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Not looking to have a huge debate and have people argue

Thanks!!!

DocT

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It would help if you gave us a budget for speaker and subwoofer. Secondly, I never understood TV stands/cabinet which absolutely aren't design to fix a center speaker is beyond me. Finding one that fits your space requirement will be a pain in the azz.

Yes, it is good to have match your 3 front speakers with same make and model. It also makes sense to spend the most money on speaker and subwoofer over electronics. Will you be using it for music too or just movies? How many brands have you audition so far? What did you like or dislike about a certain brand?

·
Registered
885 Posts
The Definitive Technology C/L/R2300 speaker is 19-1/2" W x 5-3/4" H x 12" D and runs $650 each. Works for all channels for exact timber match. They make pretty good subwoofers too. If you need something even smaller, the Mythos Gem XL is 5-1/2"W x 4-1/2"D x 12-5/8"H and might work on its side as a center.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Hi DocT,

I wouldn't worry much about "matching" speakers to your 3808ci, it's pretty neutral and its' Audyssey will help give a consistent sound.

What you want to do is match your speakers/sub to your room. It sounds like the room is fairly large, so the Center and Sub/s will play a major role. In HT use the CC gets 50% to 75% of the mix. Some one suggested getting a stand to fit the CC and not the other way around, I think that's good advice.

IMO, a good quality sub or subs is a must for an HT set up, it's important to get one or more that suits the size of your room. I think the LM1's might be a bit too small for a large room and it might be a good idea to relegate them to surround back duties. You ideally want to match your front three speakers for sure, and Audyssey can timber match the rest.

I'd suggest figuring out your budget let us know that, and tell us the size of room and general lay-out.

There's an Audyssey thread in the Receivers section that has a Set Up Guide listed in the first post that is a must read.

Also go to the Audio Theory & Setup section & do some reading on room acoustics & treatments, just to get an understanding of some things you can do to help the most significant part of any sound system; the room.

The last two things I mentioned will have much more of an impact on the quality of sound you achieve than you'd get from selecting "Brand A" speakers over "Brand B".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about the cost earlier but forgot to put it in. Sadly, at this point I have $1000-$1500 to put in the system as a whole. The room is about 24' long by 12 ' wide. The floors are hardwood pine. The ceiling is popscorn(
) ) The walls are sheet rock. There is an open doorway with no door about 1 foot closer to the tv than the right side surround, there is a window about 5.5 ' from the left surround sound, closer to FL. There is an archway at the far end of the room with a second wall about 5 feet behind it. I figured I would mount the rear spears on the top of the archway. The listening position will be about 9' into the room (8' from the speakers). This is not an ideal setup, but I was hoping to buy good speakers that I can transport to another room. The tv is a 65" DLP which sits on a cabinet. I cannot mount it on the wall, needless to say. I would love to eventually get a large flat panel and then have the sme FL, CC, FR on the same height mounts and be the same speaker, but that is a distant reality. Unless I mount the speaker above the tv, there is no other place to put it. the center channel could be 17" deep x 18" wide x 4 or 5" high at most. In front of the tv will be a small, round, wooden coffee table which is below the bottom lip of the tv. There will be an area rug between the tv and the sofas. The sofa is a sectional with one part on the wall and the other jutting in front of the tv(the primary listening position.) There is an old baby grand piano in the back left corner of the room. I would close it's lid when watching movies. It will be under and slightly to the left of the rear left channel. I hope that is enough detail. If you have suggestions that are higher than my price range, I am open to it - I just may have to buy them piecemeal, and worry that I cannot complete it before the manufacturer stops making them, lol. While not a mandate, my spouse and I hate working with raw speaker wire. She prefers the banana plugs if possible. I don't know if that makes much difference in sound quality. She would really like wireless speakers. I am not opposed but I haven't done much research on them to know if they give as good a sound and how would that integrate into my denon 3808ci.

thanks again!

DocT

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Above the TV would be fine, it's what most people did before flat panels lol!

You're shopping in a really competitive price range, and you'll probably find enough suggestions to make your head spin. The best thing to do would be to pack a couple of cd's you're familiar with and you & your wife head off to the stereo stores in your area and have a listen to as many speakers as you can in your price range. Bringing the wife gets you really good brownie points, and maybe a bit of a budget extension.
Actually women are surprisingly adept at picking out nuances, go figure...

Just listen to two channel, so you have a more consistent point of reference. Matching the rest will be a snap once you decide on the "flavor".

Have at least $500 in reserve for a decent sub, and I think here you're best off doing an internet direct purchase...better bang for the buck. HSU, SVS or Rythmik Audio.

As for speaker brands, check out Paradigm, PSB and Energy if you can, since Canadian speakers have a reputation for good bang for the buck products in most price points.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on a VM1 for center and completing the lm1 set for everything else. What about the AS1 or AS2 for sub?

thanks again for all your help!

DocT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts