AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a 7.1 sound system- 70% movies, 30% music

I currently have Klipsch RC-64II center , Klipsch RF-82 II fronts, SVS CS-29+ Sub

and a Yamaha RX-V867 receiver.

through different sales I have the following speakers to choose from for side and rear surrounds:

Boston VR-MX

Klipsch RS-41 II (didn't hear much about, but figured they'd match)

Mirage OMD-5 (reviews seem to be outstanding http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...75712/#Reviews )

Ignoring price, which should be used as the side surround? Which as the rear surrounds? and Which resold on eBay.

Or of course if I'm better off with a 5.1 please let me know that (room dimensions are approx 12 x 20 - I need to remeasure to be sure, I recently thought it was larger, but I was wrong)

Also - if any of these would not match the rest of the set please let me know.

Also one more question in regards to placement. I sit at approx 14 feet from the screen (about 6 feet from the rear wall, but I find that since the couch takes up approx. the entire width, putting the side surrounds adjacent to the coach is distracting. Where shoudl the side and rear surrounds be placed. If I move the side surrounds back 5 feet they're basically in the back corner, and if so is it beneficial or hurtful to get rear surrounds in addition. I love true surround effects, but don't speakers to ruin /cancel each other or to spend money and not get any add'l benefit.

thx

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm just piecing together my fist 7.1 system, so just know what I've read. Your side and rear surrounds should be placed about 3 feet above your ears when seated to not compete with your fronts. Dipole speakers are a decent choice to further disperse the sound.

I have a question for you. Does your center channel over your mains? I'm thinking of getting a Klipsch system and was considering getting the 82s for LR and the 64 for the center but didn't know if it would overpower them since it's designed for the model higher, the 7F if I remember correctly.. Thanks!

Oh, and for rears I was going to go with the bookshelf ones, the rb61 I think

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Everyone that I know that has them absolutely love them. They are an incredible value for your dollar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.