AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to the new technology, I was always a regular CRT man. But we are seriously thinking about upgrading. I would like to spend as little as possible, but with that said, I want quality (which may or may not come with a brand name).

Here are my specs, lol:

Currently own a 32" Tube TV

We watch a lot of movies, digital cable and we play a lot of the Nintendo Wii.

Tv placement is in the corner and the room is like 12' wide by 18' long but we have it set so the furniture makes the viewing area more like 12' wide by 10' long. What would you guys suggest for size and brand?

PLease help, lol. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honestly, I would suggest you go to an electronics store (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) and take a look at all the offerings. Do A LOT of research on all the TVs tht you like and make a choice based on thta. I have found tht one persons "awesome TV" is another's subpar offering. You have to get what works for you and the space where you will be watching the set. Be sure to take into consideration the lighting that is most often in the room during viewing, the distance you are from the TV, the components you will ahve hooked up and the asthetic value of the set. You can even come back here once you have your choices narrowed down to get some opinions on the ones you have selected.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok,

Let me ask this first, is 37" much better than 32"? And what about brands such as walmart specials like Emerson, Sylvania, visco, vizio etc....

I seen a 37" emerson for like 800 at walmart and sylvania 32" that I thought looked like good pictures (still a newbie, lol). Are these types of sets worth the time with the 2 year warranty purchased?

Let me add that I live in a small town and it is winter time here. I am trying to avoid delivery fees so I am hoping that good ol wally world will be worth shopping at. The BB and CC are at least 45 to 50 miles away.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm just jumping in because your phyical location situation is alot like mine. Small town, Walmart 12 miles away, bigger electronic stores 30-40 miles.

I, too, am trying to narrow my search for a 37" in. I've read on several threads that, YES, there is a huge difference between 32 and 37's. Of course, the prices reflect.

This site is invaluable for information, but not too many on here will make the decision for you, I know, I've tried

That said, I am looking at the 37" Vizio and the Westinghouse LVM37W3 because I can get either for under $1000 and they've both got huge fans on here. I suggest adding those to your search, even though Walmart doesn't carry either at least not in my area. I plan to set aside a day and make the trip in to see both.

It is a little scary when you really don't know much and the idea of having to return one further causes anxiety. The only store in my area that carries the Westinghouse for under $1000 has only a 10 day return policy and a 15% restocking fee. The vizio, I can get at Sam's Club so I'll probably get that one and hope for the best.

Good luck to you!

Lisa

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't speak for the Westinghouse, but I have a 42" Vizio Plasma at home that we love. It does everythign it is suppos3ed to do, and does it rather well. HD pictures are amazing, and SD programs still look really good. From what I hear the Westinghouse is a bare bones set that functions very similarly to the Vizio.

It's like night and day on the 32" vs. 37" size. My 42" already feels small as I had a 55" rear projection before the Vizio. I would say that those two are both good picks for the price range and quality you both are looking for. I would take the time to go and see both in action next to other TVs before making a decision. The last thing you want is to spend the money and end up with something you don't want. I would NOT buy a tv from Walmart unless it was one of these two (which I don't think Walmart carries either).

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchromedog2594 /forum/post/0

Thanx, I was a little confused on that. And I take it I should stay away from both brands?

I have never heard of the Visco you speak of, but the Vizio brand of TV is a nice brand for the money. I have one in my living room and we watch it everyday. it is not gonna knock your sox off compared to other higher priced sets, but it will do a very good job of displaying both SD and HD content. I am no expert on home theatre displays but I know what looks good (to me anyways) andd I can vouch for the Vizio.

I am currently waiting on the arrival of a Samsung 42" LCD display to go into my rec room and I am sure that the Sammy will spank the Vizio all over the place, but it should as it costs almost $2,000 more.

STAY AWAY FROM THE VISCO!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.