AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to the new technology, I was always a regular CRT man. But we are seriously thinking about upgrading. I would like to spend as little as possible, but with that said, I want quality (which may or may not come with a brand name).

Here are my specs, lol:

Currently own a 32" Tube TV

We watch a lot of movies, digital cable and we play a lot of the Nintendo Wii.

Tv placement is in the corner and the room is like 12' wide by 18' long but we have it set so the furniture makes the viewing area more like 12' wide by 10' long. What would you guys suggest for size and brand?

PLease help, lol. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchromedog2594 /forum/post/0

I am pretty new to the new technology, I was always a regular CRT man. But we are seriously thinking about upgrading. I would like to spend as little as possible, but with that said, I want quality (which may or may not come with a brand name).

Here are my specs, lol:

Currently own a 32" Tube TV

We watch a lot of movies, digital cable and we play a lot of the Nintendo Wii.

Tv placement is in the corner and the room is like 12' wide by 18' long but we have it set so the furniture makes the viewing area more like 12' wide by 10' long. What would you guys suggest for size and brand?

PLease help, lol. Thanks in advance guys!

(1) Will the display remain angled across a corner?

(2) Would a flat panel be placed on a table stand rather than a wall?

(3) What would you expect your viewing distance to be? (figure where stand/table would sit and measure eyes-to-panel-surface. Do this with tape measure don't estimate by eye)

(4) What is the lighting like in the room? Can you reasonably control the light?

(5) How important is getting as wide a viewing angle as possible ("big screen" or "immersive" look) for movies?

Answers to these questions will help focus a discussion to answer your others.

Size, viewing distance, and resolution are all interlinked. Once they are established; features, appearance, and reliability come in. Specific brand can come last. All constrained, of course, by cost.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Yes, I hope to keep the set up the way it is.

2) Table stand is my plan

3) I would have to measure, but my estimate is shortest distance (love seat) is about 4 feet, and the longest (recliner) is about 6'

4) I have two windows that are in the room, both opposite side of room from tv but they don't allow for a lot of light due to garage being on that side of the house. SO most lighting is controlled by lamps

5) I like the wide view, like I said, I have a square tv now and I like the widescreen appearance, but I dont want the view of things being out of proportion.

6) Price is the big one for me, I want the best bang for my buck (4 kids including a 4 month old) name means little to me. I know 37 is bigger by measurement, but if it is overkill for my setting, I would invest in the smaller tv and get higher quality cables and hooksups.

·
Registered
732 Posts
if you're not looking to 'shrink' your viewing, a 32" tv corresponds (roughly) to a 40" widescreen, so I suggest you look that large or larger.

I'm having a bit of a tough time picturing your room. The viewing area is 10'x12', but you only actually sit 4' or 6' away? Well, if you're truly sitting that close, I suggest you consider a 1080 display rather than a 768 display. That's going to get you in price unless you look at LCD or rear projection.

Regarding your cables/connections. I suggest you look at buying from forum sponsor monoprice. Nothing worse than buying a $100 monster cable to find that you could have gotten the same or better cable for $8.

If you sit much off centerline axis, PQ can drop quite a bit on LCD's. The new ones are supposed to be better, but I haven't seen it myself, some others may be better sources for infromation on this.

Because you have a controlled light situation, you will get a generally beter picture with a plasma vs an LCD. But you also game quite a bit (it seems) which is generally in favor of an LCD (depending on the games you play), as they have reduced chances of image retention.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What we did with the room was:

Room is a rectangle, 12' wide by 19' long. we basically cut the living room in half and put some the baby's items in the other half of the room (basinet, swing etc... hope that helps some).

As far as PQ and angles, I assume when looking at the model we should try to recreate the angle and distance in the store? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some specs on one model I liked:

37" widescreen LCD

widescreen (16:9) format for a true cinematic experience

Built in ATSC tuner

Get high definition (HD) without the need for a separate set-top box thanks to the convenient built in digital ATSC tuner

1366 x 768 resolution

HDMI

1000:1 contrast

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

Here are some specs on one model I liked:

37" widescreen LCD

widescreen (16:9) format for a true cinematic experience

Built in ATSC tuner

Get high definition (HD) without the need for a separate set-top box thanks to the convenient built in digital ATSC tuner

1366 x 768 resolution

HDMI

1000:1 contrast

What is the maximum price you are willing to spend?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well, you're in a whole different league than I thought you were in. The Sharp LC-32D40U isn't a bad tv that can be bought at forum sponsors for less than your limit delivered. But it is only 32" which is a serious size reduction.

If I were you, I'd consider broadening my search to include CRTs. Unfortunately, most of my knowledge on current tvs resides a bit above your price range, so I probably can't be of much more help. I would say that if you were considering a 768p, like your specs state, that opens the door back up for plasmas. LG and Vizio make decent lower tier plasmas in 42" range near your price point.

Good luck, maybe you'll get some more action when people return from work!

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:

What we did with the room was:

Room is a rectangle, 12' wide by 19' long. we basically cut the living room in half and put some the baby's items in the other half of the room (basinet, swing etc... hope that helps some).

As far as PQ and angles, I assume when looking at the model we should try to recreate the angle and distance in the store? Thanks for your help!

I would measure again and see if you can get the display at least 7' from your eyes. A narrower table in the corner might let you get the display all the way back into the corner with the sides of the display touching the walls.

If you cannot get back 7' or more, then 768p plasma may not work too well and 1080p LCD might be what you need. Another option would be to check out the smaller DLP displays. I don't know which fit into your budget as I have not been following displays in this range. Costco etc are good places to check out along with sales on the net.

Cheers,

Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.