AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to turn one of these (highlighted) rooms into a theater, but I am not sure which would be the best, so I am hoping to get some suggestions and ideas on what to do. I am mainly looking for ideas on projector/screen placement and speaker placement (all of which I have yet to buy)

My name is Ian, by the way. I just discovered this forum (I was searching the web on how to make a star ceiling) and I have already learned so much from it. Seems like an awesome community, and I look forward to being a part of it.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
You didn't say how many people or how much seating you were hoping for, but any of those would make a nice, little, small-scale theater. There are quite a few "bonus room" theaters on the forum that are in the 140-150 sq ft. range. Any of the rooms are doable, as long as you're not expecting to have seating for 10 or anything.

In order of preference, my vote would be for the top, then the middle, then the bottom.

The bottom-most room looks like it has no door and also has a window - two minuses. On the plus side, it's the biggest space. But, with no door, you don't have any control over light or sound, which would be a deal-breaker.

The middle one has the awkward angled wall, so my vote is for the top one. You might be able to get a couple of rows of "love seat" style chairs (back to the door) with the screen on the short left-hand wall - so seating for four, maybe. Or you could maybe do one longer or sectional L-shaped sofa on the top and left walls, with the screen on the wall adjoining the office below.

What about neighbors, though? What's on the other side of the "north" wall? Is this a commercial space or something?

SC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply! This is actually where I work/live. The business part is on the north side of the wall, and now that I think about it, that office might be a problem. I thought about putting the screen on the angled wall of the middle room, with an L -shape couch on the opposite corner, but I think that wouldn't be very good for viewing and sound.

I am hoping to sit as many as possible, so individual seats are probably not an option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, after careful consideration, I finally decided on a room to use for my HT. I made a couple of rough models of what I envision. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by entakesflight /forum/post/0

And here is a slightly rendered one

Did you make a choice yet? I too am considering a seperate room for HT...it would be small though...10X11X8. I got things in the living room now which is 18X16X8 but has a hallway and an opening to the dining and kitchen area. I do have a small house however so the kitchen and dining area is very small. I would love to hear some more views on this thread...

Take care,

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.