AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am nearing completion of a new home. The home will have a dedicated HT in which I will have a 100" front projection system. My current family room TV is a TOSHIBA 36HF71 36 INCH PURE FLAT that I bought several years ago. However, because of the family room layout in the new house (built-in shelves), the depth and absurd weight of the 36HF71 are going to prevent me from reusing it.

So, I am interested in buying some type of less bulky RPTV for my family room. Since I am going to have the HT for "serious" TV watching, I don't want to invest a ton of $$ in the family room TV. I don't really need bleeding edge. I just want something reasonable for watching some broadcast TV, the news, sports, etc. But, since I have been so focused on HT design and equipment selection, I haven't spent any time researching the latest RPTVs.

Ideally, I would like something in the 30-40" area, possibly plasma to reduce the bulk. I would consider buying a good, lightly used unit as well.

Any suggestions for brands/models/retailers to look at for something with good value here? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
There are no RPTVs in the 30-40" range. Smallest boxes are going to be sets like the Sony 42A10 LCD RP and Samsung 4266 DLP.

I would consider a Panasonic ED Plasma 42" or maybe a 37" LCD flat panel set. The Panny 42" ED is surprisingly good, excellent blacks and colors and very difficult to distinguish from 42" HD sets at distances of 8' or more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.