AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem is that the rocks are not consistant. And they are raterh large. I'me not even sure if I have the ability to drill into solid rock. Anyone had to deal with this?

There is morter placed between the rocks, perhaps I could square off on somoe of the morter areas...

Looking for ideas.

·
Registered
137 Posts
well they do have drill bits for concrete and rock but make sure the rock is adhered to the surface well or it could be pulled down itself. I was in a similar fix for a large picture drilling in the morter is ok but how much wt are you working with. I would use the rocks before i would use the morter for a TV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in the same position. I just bought a 55B6000 and have to mount it in a field stone wall above the fireplace. I can't really determine how well the rocks are set against the fireplace, so I'm a little hesitant about drilling into the rock. I'd hate to mount this and the rocks start to crumble. But I have no choice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Can you suspend the TV in front of the rocks using picture wire or some other attractive cable option? How do you plan on powering the unit?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would suggest hanging a piece of cardboard above the fireplace and staring at it for an hour or so. Sitting with your head tilted and looking above a fireplace is very unnatural and can be a literal "pain in the neck". If it's an LCD tv you're dealing with, off axis viewing is not optimal. Although a fireplace mount looks great in showhomes and ads, it's very impractical. As stated above, what do you do with the cables? If there's no mantle, will the heat from the fireplace rise straight up to the tv and cause venting problems? If the FP is wood burning, will there be a problem with fine ash settling in the vents? All things considered, I would avoid a FP mount if at all possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCScott /forum/post/16334473

I would suggest hanging a piece of cardboard above the fireplace and staring at it for an hour or so. Sitting with your head tilted and looking above a fireplace is very unnatural and can be a literal "pain in the neck". If it's an LCD tv you're dealing with, off axis viewing is not optimal. Although a fireplace mount looks great in showhomes and ads, it's very impractical. As stated above, what do you do with the cables? If there's no mantle, will the heat from the fireplace rise straight up to the tv and cause venting problems? If the FP is wood burning, will there be a problem with fine ash settling in the vents? All things considered, I would avoid a FP mount if at all possible.

I agree it's not optimal for viewing, but in this room, i have no choice. This FP does have a mantle and I tested the heat above it not to long ago. I had a roaring fire going and was singeing the hairs on my hand in front of it, but above the mantle it was room temp. As far as ash and smoke goes, I really haven't seen it to be a problem. I guess the FP channels the smoke back up through the chimney effectively.

As far as cable management goes, I have a cabinet built into the wall, that is only 8'' away. I think I can hide most of it without a problem.

Does anyone have the specs for the screws and bolts for the samsung low profile wall mount?

thnx.

mike

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCScott /forum/post/16335091

Is there room to use the stand and place it on the mantle like I've done here: http://www.gobc.ca/windermerecreek/accommodation/479 ?

That looks nice.

The other issue i have is that the mantle is only 8 inches wide and the stand is 12". Also, with the stand the height of the TV is 34.5" and and I only have 35" to the ceiling.

thnx.

mike

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsy19 /forum/post/16335202

That looks nice.

The other issue i have is that the mantle is only 8 inches wide and the stand is 12". Also, with the stand the height of the TV is 34.5" and and I only have 35" to the ceiling.

thnx.

mike

What about a modifed ceiling mount then? A quick Google search resulted in several options including this one http://www.ergoindemand.com/ceiling_mount_solutions.htm

If you are not able to find one short enough for you then you may have to one custom sized for the length or if your handy with a welding torch you could shorten as needed.

·
Banned
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tantrum /forum/post/16336265

What about a modifed ceiling mount then? A quick Google search resulted in several options including this one http://www.ergoindemand.com/ceiling_mount_solutions.htm

If you are not able to find one short enough for you then you may have to one custom sized for the length or if your handy with a welding torch you could shorten as needed.

That looks like it could be a really good option

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a similar situation with the fireplace being the only location in the family room to mount a flat-screen LCD. I have not bought yet, but will go 55" or higher. The nice things about the new samsungs is their weight - 51 lbs I think in the 55". I have brick and mortar, with both being 4" deep to the flue of the chimney. the fireplaces. I am going to drill into the mortar as the brick is crumbly in spots and not very consistent looking. but I'm far less worried now given how light these new LCD's are, compared to say 130 lbs for an older plasma.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitsat /forum/post/16337001

I have a similar situation with the fireplace being the only location in the family room to mount a flat-screen LCD. I have not bought yet, but will go 55" or higher. The nice things about the new samsungs is their weight - 51 lbs I think in the 55". I have brick and mortar, with both being 4" deep to the flue of the chimney. the fireplaces. I am going to drill into the mortar as the brick is crumbly in spots and not very consistent looking. but I'm far less worried now given how light these new LCD's are, compared to say 130 lbs for an older plasma.

I agree. I'm less cautious about drilling into the rock considering the TV is only 50lbs. Even so, I'm not going to spend $250 for the Samsung mount. It just seems way overpriced. I think I'll come up with something myself.

mike

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsy19 /forum/post/16339635

I agree. I'm less cautious about drilling into the rock considering the TV is only 50lbs. Even so, I'm not going to spend $250 for the Samsung mount. It just seems way overpriced. I think I'll come up with something myself.

mike

i've seen posts where people have gotten them for $149 .

it is an elegant sophisticated engineering and esthetic design, and would be perfect for your situation imo, especially since it contributes almost no weight to the equation. but such design does cost.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I mounted a 42" LCD on my rock fireplace last year with a real cheap (I think about $30) mount from Monoprice. Had the same issues as you, inconsistent fieldstone rock. It turned out to be pretty simple. The mount offered so many different screw placements that I just found the best position to grab the most screws. I used tapcon screws with a special bit (HomeDepot) and found it wasn't difficult at all. Don't try to use the mortar, it's too far within the rock to catch the screws very well. The only killer issue would be if some of your rocks protruded way out from others (like 4 or 5 inches), then it just couldn't be done. The other issue, I hate to take this thing down someday and look at the holes in the rocks, hope I can fill them up with something that blends in (they're small diameter but about 8 of them).

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
My wife would kill me if i drilled holes in my stone fireplace. In fact I would kill me!

I would ceiling mount or buy a projector w/screen, drywall is an invisible fix, while stone and even some mortars... Very hard to match up, even for the pros.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with the ceiling mount option, you would be able to mount it into wood and it would allow the most height adjustment. as one other mentioned. you really should set back and imagine what position your neck is in for viewing. even a mild head up adjustment will cause some neck problems. hopefully your will have some reclining chairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoe /forum/post/16342663

I mounted a 42" LCD on my rock fireplace last year with a real cheap (I think about $30) mount from Monoprice. Had the same issues as you, inconsistent fieldstone rock. It turned out to be pretty simple. The mount offered so many different screw placements that I just found the best position to grab the most screws. I used tapcon screws with a special bit (HomeDepot) and found it wasn't difficult at all. Don't try to use the mortar, it's too far within the rock to catch the screws very well. The only killer issue would be if some of your rocks protruded way out from others (like 4 or 5 inches), then it just couldn't be done. The other issue, I hate to take this thing down someday and look at the holes in the rocks, hope I can fill them up with something that blends in (they're small diameter but about 8 of them).

So far I've found everything thing I need to mount this TV in the rock but one. At this point I haven't found anything I'm comfortable with that I could hang the TV on i.e. (Silver disks in Samsung mount). I know this is the biggest item I need. As far as costs go, I've spent about $10 for screws, washers, steel gauge wire, etc. It's a far cry from $250.

In the meantime, I'll check out monoprice for wall mounts. If I can find a ultra thin mount for $30, I'll sacrifice the $10 I've already spent and go with it.

thnx.

mike

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/16342100

i've seen posts where people have gotten them for $149 .

it is an elegant sophisticated engineering and esthetic design, and would be perfect for your situation imo, especially since it contributes almost no weight to the equation. but such design does cost.

Just an update. I know I said I wouldn't buy the Samsung TV wall mount, but I was able to find it at priceguidenetwork.com for $104. For this price, I was willing to pay. I just received it today and tomorrow I will hang my TV.

Unfortunately, it's already out of stock. You can put an email tickler on the site to let you know when it gets back in stock. I did this expecting never to hear from them again, but a few days later I got the email and ordered it a few minutes later.

You can check it out here: http://www.priceguidenetwork.com/sam...n1000bxza.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hilti gun? Used them on concrete block and brick, don't know about hard stone. After you remove it, not pretty.

For a nice finish, guess I would call the stone countertop guys, not too busy now adays...

·
Vendor
31,923 Posts
 www.tapcons.com

lol, once one uses these there is no turning back. Small holes strong bite. If there is a will there is a way.

First off post pics and I will help.

Off the top of my head level surface is not needed, use spacers and since they are plastic they can be cut easy. With a standard flat mount, 4 bolts are needed. Use different lenth plastic spacers to hold the mount out and level in all directions. ( Catch my meaning?)

BCScott, that is a very nice place
But you need these to wake up the bears >

1 - 20 of 22 Posts