14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my sound system yesterday and now have the following set-up:

Amp Yamaha RX-V2400

Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 9

Sub: Paradigm PW2100

Rears: Polk R30's

Front center: Speaker that came in Pioneer Elite Pro - 520 HD

HD Cable box from Time Warner (also has digital out)

DVD Player with Digital out

My questions are:

1) Currently I don't have any of the video going through the receiver. Should I? My initial thought was no, thinking this would add interference to the signal. But I'm starting to reconsider given that my amp will up-convert the video signal. Perhaps it would be a good idea for regular (non HD) channels from the cable box?

2) My television has the ability to act as the center channel. Is it better to plug this in as a digital source or take it from analog speaker outputs? Currently I have it coming from the digital output, however I have to really turn the volume up on the TV to get any sound out of it.

If there is any additional information that I need to post to get answers to these questions please let me know.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
1) No you shouldn't unless you have no choice.

"my amp will up-convert the video signal"

How is that? I don't think so!

2) You have paradigms, get a paradigm center. You'll be happy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
This receiver has lots of features, including ... composite/s-video to component "up-conversion". I think since it doesn't do any resolution change, that's stretching the term somewhat, but it's not quite transcoding either...

Anyway, I'd give it a try for the non-HD inputs, and if it isn't worse, I'd be happy to reduce the cable count to the display.

And definitely, having tonally balanced L-C-R speakers is a must. If you don't want to spring for the paradigm center I'd stick with the analog and let the receiver handle things rather than going through even more signal processing. But also you might try telling the receiver you have no center and try that - using the fronts to provide a virtual center may sound better than the TV.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
mlilie

re: "reduce the cable count to the display"

Yeah, but it sounds like he's going direct, so going to the receiver first would be bad - it might increase cables. Problem is we don't know what he has...

sortasuave - What type of TV do you have? What type of video ins, and audio ins?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies..

The TV is a Pioneer Elite 520 HD

Below I will attach a picture of the back panel for the TV.

After reading through the manuals a few times, I suspect I have found part of the problem. I plugged the center channel into the pre out on the back of the amp. At the time of set up, this made sense as it matched the type of cables I had. (the back of the TV is an RCA type plug) However, now that I have lived with the system for a couple of days, I have to think different. The first problem is that the center volume does not go up and down with the rest of the system. So I guess I will just have to find a cable that can go from either banana clips to RCA or straight wire to RCA so that I can plug it into the amp controlled output.

Any thoughts?

As for getting the center channel... I agree I will get it in the future.. But at this point I pretty much blew what I had to get this.. I figure that I will replace the polks in the back of the room about the same time I do the center. Say, a year from now?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I don't see how you can fix the volume problem. If adding a center is out of the question, turning off the center and living with a "phantom center" might be better.

You should hook up HD cable and dvd directly with component video. You have two inputs. You can also use the S-Video for cable for standard def.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.