AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello,

Need experts' advice.  Plan to upgrade my speakers and want to start from front left and right speakers first. Currently, I use 5 10+ years old JBL speakers and 1 old JBL subwoofer. 

My set up is: 

marantz SR7007

marantz CD5004 

Room: 22x24x15. isolated media room. 

Use: music 70% (stereo mode), Movie 30% (i want to use JBL as surround speakers)

Budget: $2-5k

I have searched lots of reviews and several user forums for guidance. Also went to Bestbuy and listened B&H, MartinLogan Theos/ElectroMotion.  I really like MartinLogan's sound and look, especially Theos. 

Here is the short list

1. Magnepan's 1.7 ($2K).   Do I have to upgrade to 3.7 ($5k) to get more bass?  

2. MartinLogan ElectroMotion (~$2k) or Theos (~$5.5K, little over budget)

3. Tekton Enzo ($2K) or Pardragon ($2.5k).  

Any suggestions and other recommandations?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk888  /t/1508490/suggestions-needed-floor-standing-speakers-budget-5k#post_24134301

Hello,

Need experts' advice.  Plan to upgrade my speakers and want to start from front left and right speakers first. Currently, I use 5 10+ years old JBL speakers and 1 old JBL subwoofer. 

My set up is: 

marantz SR7007

marantz CD5004 
Room: 22x24x15. isolated media room. 

Use: music 70% (stereo mode), Movie 30% (i want to use JBL as surround speakers)

Budget: $2-5k

I have searched lots of reviews and several user forums for guidance. Also went to Bestbuy and listened B&H, MartinLogan Theos/ElectroMotion.  I really like MartinLogan's sound and look, especially Theos. 

Here is the short list

1. Magnepan's 1.7 ($2K).   Do I have to upgrade to 3.7 ($5k) to get more bass?  

2. MartinLogan ElectroMotion (~$2k) or Theos (~$5.5K, little over budget)

3. Tekton Enzo ($2K) or Pardragon ($2.5k).  

Any suggestions and other recommandations?

Thanks for your help!

Music you say? JTR 212s

·
Registered
330 Posts
Try listening to a pair of polk lsim 707s, and paradigm studio 100s v5.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Love my Theos! The cheaper Esl is probably a better bang for the buck though. Also like Magnepan.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My favorite in the price range is the Salk SongTower RT / SCST. A used pair of Salk HT2-TL's would be about there as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I will go to a local dealer and try to audition some of those. 

·
Registered
737 Posts
Does that budget include upgrading the sub(s)?

Here's an extensive review of ~$1000 tower speakers that I found pretty interesting. ( LINK )

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Subs - $499 SVS PB 1000

$599 Rythmic LV12R

These two are the best subs out there for under $600.00 if you can fit them into your budget, your sound system will be much better off in the long run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Update:  I have bought Magnepan 1.7 and really like it. 

Next upgrade is center speaker..

Thanks

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
Nice!! I used to own Maggies and loved them. How far do you have them from the front wall? I found they needed to be at least 3 feet away to sound their best in my room, but yours could be different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

MIne is 3.5 to 4 feet from the wall.  I am still trying to find the perfect postion for them and it might take a while. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
10,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk888  /t/1508490/suggestions-needed-floor-standing-speakers-budget-5k#post_24371669

MIne is 3.5 to 4 feet from the wall.  I am still trying to find the perfect postion for them and it might take a while. :)

Thanks

Haha, well if you are like me the tweaking never ends. Congrats man, I predict a lot of music listening in your future.
What are you using for subs?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts