AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just installed a TV in our bedroom and need some suggestions on a stereo speaker set up. Lots of constraints. The TV is a Samsung UN46ES8000. 40" wide and 24" high. It is mounted quite flush to the wall, say ~2.5".

The sources are a set top box and and Apple TV that will boh connect to an OPPO 103 via hdmi which will act as pre/pro and blu Ray player. Analog out from the 103 to a Rotel RB-1070 (130w per channel specs).

The use will be primarily with the TV for any of those sources. Music once in a while. Just to prempt the comment that stereo sucks and I will need to be able to adjust the Center channel for dialogue. I get it and I have a nice theatre set up elsewhere for that. I don't have the cabinet space for a full AVR nor the desire to load up the master bedroom with a wall full of speakers!

I want to run this without a sub.

Option 1 - L and R speakers. Can't be higher than 24". Ideally they would be no deeper than the mounted TV but I know that isn't super realistic. Considering 3-4" depth. Something like the Totem Tribe I would be great, but they are 26" high.

Option 2 - A passive L/R Soundbar. No wider than the TV's 40". Ideally no deeper than the mounted TV but as above I realize that isn't necessarily reasonable so 3-4" depth might be ok. Leon or James Loudspeaker are possible.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad idea.
No argument. Any good ideas around a nice flat wireless sub that can slide under a piece of furniture not be seen and run from the sub out on the OPPO? It doesn't need to rattle and walls or wake up sleeping children. Just augment the flatish speakers that cand reach down that far.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In response to both above posts...Thanks. Great ideas. I'll take a longer look.

Knee jerk, I like the super bird focal idea. I don't think the integrated sub/electronics will necessarily work for me because of the cabinet set up I have but just maybe.

The Monitor Radius line is a good suggestion for the wall speakers. The outlaw sub looks too big but maybe it comes in different configurations.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
No argument. Any good ideas around a nice flat wireless sub that can slide under a piece of furniture not be seen and run from the sub out on the OPPO? It doesn't need to rattle and walls or wake up sleeping children. Just augment the flatish speakers that cand reach down that far.
Earthquake CP8 Couch Potato isn't wireless, but it's what I have under my bed.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Since you said you have another theater area and this is just a bedroom I wanna add that u really dont need a sub like everyone is saying. I have a soundbar in my bedroom and it sounds very good without a sub. Smaller rooms dont need big speakers. If your like me and fall asleep with the tv on do you really want a sub bumping in there?

just playinh devils advocate here.

·
Registered
19,823 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Do you have the feet on it? What is the height? I think it says over 7" on their website.
Yes, it requires the feet as the woofer is down-firing. It's just over 7.5". I had to lift the bed to get it past the wooden outer frame, but it fits under the box spring with room to spare. You'd have to measure carefully. Although I've never tried it, I've also read you can stand it up against the wall.

Parts Express sells a 6" low-profile sub also.

If you want to go nuts ($$$), there's the Sunfire SubRosa that can mount on a wall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts