AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm working on turning our upstairs game room into a home theater space. Completed the projector and screen install, purchased a receiver, and am now ready to purchase a 5.1 setup to replace the wimpy Sony floorstanders I received as hand-me-downs about 10 years ago. :)

Budget: Hoping to stay close to $1,000

Desired setup: 5.1, although open to 7.1 if it fits in the budget. I would, however, prefer quality over quantity. A higher quality 5.1 setup is preferable to me instead of sacrificing some quality just to add 2 more surrounds and stick to budget.

Primary use: Movies and TV. Some gaming. Very little music.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR636

Room: Pictures attached. Roughly 20' x 20' if we include the stairwell behind the couch in the measurement.

The only setup I've looked at/considered very closely so far has been from Polk. Two Monitor 70 Series II floorstanders, CS2 center, pair of Monitor 40 Series II surrounds, and the PSW505 12" sub. I could do this as a 5.1 setup for ~$750 right now which would stay well within budget. Are these speakers discontinued though? I couldn't find them on Polk's website... just on Newegg and eBay.

I'm very open to suggestions. This is my first surround setup and I am in no way an audiophile, so I welcome any feedback! Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts