AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 9500 LC Ultra and will be replacing my current screen with a wider one. I have been considering the idea of constant area, and I am just looking for suggestions from people who are doing the same with a CRT and Scaler. I will be using a HDQ, and my sources will be Xbox 360, Oppo DVD, and HTPC for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

My current screen is 78x44

My planned screen will be 90x44 2.05, which will allow me to have identical 1.78 as I do now, but will greatly increase the size of cinemascope.

I do not want 2.35 screen, so please no suggestion along those lines from the "digital" guys

Thanks

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I am one of those "digital guys" with a CA setup. Isn't your projector native 16x9? How do you plan on using a CRT with a screen that is not 16x9?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually a CRT is not native anything, I can adjsut anywhere from 1.33 to 2.4 buy adjusting the raster height, this is were CRTs have there flexability, also we are not constrained to a fixed panel like a digital. I can feed the projector anything from 480i to 1080p and it will display it natively, without scaling like a fixed panel would.

Basicly my plan was to set the lumagen for 2.05 output, and adjust the projector to that screen aspect and size. Then use the scalers input aspect configurations to adjust for the incoming aspect ratio. I just want to confirm that this would be the correct method.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I understand that you can adjust the raster/scan and get different AR's from a CRT. My very limited understanding of the the way that CRT projectors work, is that there is a "native AR" to the tube phosphor faces. I am not recommending anything, because a CRT in a CA setup is not my area of knowledge. I am just asking why you want a screen AR that is different from the "native AR" of your projector? The reason that I ask is because the "father" of CA setups uses a CRT in what I would consider a fairly straightforward way to maximize the phosphor usage for all AR's (screen AR = Phosphor AR).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts