Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

I'm a newbie who is awaiting delivery of a Panny PT50LC13, and needs a nice audio setup to complement it. I initially looked at HTIB systems, Onkyo HT650, HT660, Kenwood HTB505, etc. - but the other day at BB I was introduced to the JBL speaker systems (SCS135si, SCS160si) and really like the sound output. Mind you, I'm not much of an audiophile, but they sounded crisp and clear to me. Of course, those JBL systems do NOT come with a receiver, so I'd have to purchase that seperately, but I've heard of the importance of getting a good set of speakers. A couple of questions arise:

1) Most seem to like the Onkyo HTIB systems - but their speakers are awfully large. I need to be able to mount my satellite speakers on the wall, is there a height and weight guideline that a speaker must stay under to be able to mount them? JBL's speakers are nice and compact - but the subwoofer seems large enough to serve dinner on! :D

2) Is it better to buy a good speaker system and just go search for a great receiver to match? Can anyone recommend a receiver with plenty of inputs/outputs and that supports all the major formats? I'm thinking about the Samsung HD931 for the DVD player (DVI out). I want to stay within a $550-600 price range for the speakers and receiver, if it all possible?

Just confused...thanks for the input.

:confused:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forums. First off, your price range is VERY limited for speakers, sub, and receiver. The better subs alone cost at least that.

Receiver - For a receiver I would recommend either Onkyo or Denon. Try to find a refurbished one because they come with a warranty and are usually half the cost of a new one. And with your price range...you don't have much of a choice. I opted for a refurbished Onkyo DRC500 which is 100x5 watts RMS and has a 5 disc carousel DVD player. That was $200 from J&R. I am not sure whether they have any more left.

Speakers - You might want to go with Fluance. They are not necessarily as good as Axiom, Energy, or Ascend...but they are good for the money which you are limiting. Here is a link for the 5 speaker system which costs $260 plus shipping. http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html And here are the reviews from audioreview.com ----> http://www.audioreview.com/Home%20Th...4_4282crx.aspx

They also have a 12 subwoofer for $250 but maybe some of the guys can recommend one for you. SVS and HSU seem to be the best on the market...but they are way out of price range.

So that's $710. You might want to raise your price range a little bit for speakers, sub, and receiver. JBL's are also o.k. as long as you like them....that's all that matters - I have heard problems with the PB10 and PB12 subs though.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You should also look at some HTIB systems.

JBL does make one which you can get for dirt cheap. Comes with receiver, dvd player, and speakers. Check ebay.

I also HIGHLY recommend checking out the Onkyo HTIB systems. I hear many good things about them.

Go to ebay and put in 3049099963 for the search.

Great reviews at audioreview.com ---- That might be your best bet unless you want to spend more money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, if I have to spend a bit more I guess I will! :rolleyes:

Looking at 6.1 receivers (even though I only have a 5.1 setup) - I think it's narrowed down to the following:

Onkyo TXSR601

Denon 1803

Yamaha HTR-5650

I've read about some concerns with the quality of the Yamahas, most everyone seems to like the Denon and Onkyo. Can't tell from the specs if the Denon supports SACD and DVD-A formats. Any one of these receivers stand out from one another?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.