AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine gave me a PSB Alpha CLR1 to start my HT setup and I'm curious if anyone has suggestions of what bookshelf speakers would be able to match up with it? I know generally it is recommended to stick with the manufacturer and I won't be too upset if that is the direction I'm told to go. I had been planning on going with an Andrew Jones setup in one form another (Philharmonic AALs) but from what I've read I'll likely be happy going with PSB as well. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

If you want proper voice matching, you have to go with a model designed to match the speaker you have.  Now, whether you should do that or not depends on how you feel about that center, as you only should use it if you like it, not just because you have it.

Also, some people don't have voice matched speakers and they seem happy with their systems.  So it depends greatly on your standards and preferences.

I personally use identical speakers for all channels (other than subwoofer, obviously), which gives perfect voice matching, and will never go back to merely voice matched speakers.  So, again, it is a question of what matters to you, and, of course, on your budget.  The less you have, the easier you need to be satisfied.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Saturday Audio has the PSB Image B6 speakers for $439/pair.

Those are new B stock speakers, which come direct from the factory and have the full PSB warranty, but may have minor cosmetic defects.

They also have the Image B5 for $359.

The Image T5 towers are $799.

Very good prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymn  /t/1520503/suggestions-on-bookshelf-speakers-to-go-with-psb-alpha-clr1-center#post_24427346

A friend of mine gave me a PSB Alpha CLR1 to start my HT setup and I'm curious if anyone has suggestions of what bookshelf speakers would be able to match up with it? I know generally it is recommended to stick with the manufacturer and I won't be too upset if that is the direction I'm told to go. I had been planning on going with an Andrew Jones setup in one form another (Philharmonic AALs) but from what I've read I'll likely be happy going with PSB as well. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1520503/suggestions-on-bookshelf-speakers-to-go-with-psb-alpha-clr1-center#post_24429138

If you want proper voice matching, you have to go with a model designed to match the speaker you have.  Now, whether you should do that or not depends on how you feel about that center, as you only should use it if you like it, not just because you have it.

Also, some people don't have voice matched speakers and they seem happy with their systems.  So it depends greatly on your standards and preferences.

I personally use identical speakers for all channels (other than subwoofer, obviously), which gives perfect voice matching, and will never go back to merely voice matched speakers.  So, again, it is a question of what matters to you, and, of course, on your budget.  The less you have, the easier you need to be satisfied.

He currently has a set of Image B15s as his fronts and a Alpha C1 as his center which I can't find any fault with so I think I'll be happy with PSBs in general.

If I were to go straight to something like the Alpha B1 would the CLR1 be under powered?

·
Registered
19,812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymn  /t/1520503/suggestions-on-bookshelf-speakers-to-go-with-psb-alpha-clr1-center#post_24431667

He currently has a set of Image B15s as his fronts and a Alpha C1 as his center which I can't find any fault with so I think I'll be happy with PSBs in general.

If I were to go straight to something like the Alpha B1 would the CLR1 be under powered?

I would aim, to use a pair of the small CLR1 speakers as surrounds

I would start fresh for the front 3 channel speakers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts