AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some suggestions on what editing software(that you know first hand works) to get for my computer to edit minidv camcorder recordings with an ultimate goal of burning onto a dvd.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Adobe Premier is pretty good - it can do pretty much anything you will ever need. If you want to do more post-work you can add on Adobe After Effects.

I use both of these pretty much on a daily basis at work.

- Rick

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'd also recommend Premiere. It's fairly intuitive (all self-taught), and as Rick says will do just about anything you need. I've tried Vegas Video but prefer Premiere over it.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Premiere, Intuitive???? Probably the most obscure user interface ever invented. Terrible learning curve. If you liked Adobe Photoshop, you'll love Premiere. :)

Seriously, I would look at Vegas Video. Has all the power of Premiere, but with a whole lot more intuitive and friendly user interface. and 1/2 the price.

If you are looking for no brainer software, Pinnacle Studio 8 is what you are looking for. However, while Premiere and Vegas Video will allow you to do things like complex color and exposure correction, Studio 8 just does the simple stuff, but it may be enough for you.

BTW, I have all three of the above mentioned products, I use Vegas 95% of the time. Premiere 5%, and the only reason I have Studio 8 was that I bought it bundled with a firewire card.

Just my $.02

Vern Dias

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vern, Thanks for the help. I had heard/read somewhere that several people had some problems with Pinnacle 8. I'll have to find out some more info on Vegas Video. Is that the software you use to get video into your computer? And what software do you use for burning?

Thanks again for your help.

Craig

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a DV NLE system at work, I use Adobe premier because i have a DVstorm card in there and its optimised for it, I haveever have user video vegas also..

Both will do waht most users need...premier is very powerful and if you take some time to read up on it and try messing around with it it will be your best friend for life...

I have also used Ulead's video editing tool to make some pretty darn impressive video's, some were even marketed and mas produced for work.. It came with my fire wire card.. it is limited but for home users it would bo more than they need. If you want to do major undertakings try Video vegas or Adobe Prrmier... Want more try Avid's product...havent tried this yet but is rated tops by many.

Other wise on the Mac side iMovie is sweet and very easy to use..

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I have a DV storm and use premiere for the same reason ebacherville does. I happen to also own vegas video, and can vouch for vern's statements. It much easier to understand.

Since I routinely use photoshop, the learning curve for premiere wasn't that bad. The basic approach I use to figure things out in premiere is the same as in photoshop. Follow these few simple rules.

1. Assume you can do anything.

2. Don't assume that the way to do anything makes any sense whatsoever

3. Find Plenty of good forums, and learn the search rules. Don't bother to post questions, all questions have already been asked.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I primarily use DODCap, because most of my captures come from a WorkPrinter style system that does frame by frame transfers (Similar to stop-motion).

The only two products that I am aware of that will capture stop-motion are Premiere and DODCap. DODCap is not an editor.

Pinnacle 8 came with my Firewire card, I have not used its capture.

I have not used the VV for capture either, but as a NLE it is my favorite of the three.

Work Permit: Absolutely great description of Premiere!!!!

Vern Dias

·
Registered
637 Posts
For serious pro/semi-pro stuff I would go with Apple's Final Cut Pro, Avvid's DV Express (PC), or Vegas. The first 2 are kinda expense, but Vegas is pretty affordable. For general consumer I'd look at Vegas or ULead.

Premier still requires a hardware support card like a DV500, Storm, or similar to be useable though there are rumors that a version that takes advantage of PC hardware will be coming out in 3Q03.

I've seen numerous people (pro's & amatuers) make the switch from Premier (and other packages) to Vegas over the past year (since v3 arrived) and none ever wanted to go back, even the ones that were drug kicking and screaming to a Vegas machine. Vegas has a tremendous amount of power for a variety of types of production and the output quality is exceptional. A highly anticipated new version making a great package even better is rumored for Feb03.

Download the free demo and try it for yourself.

Aslan...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Primere is the way to go. Why? Real time cards! I can render Mpeg-2 out at almost 1:1 with my dv500 card. Even better you can get primere bundeled with a nice hardware card for under $400 on ebay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.