AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My room is not ideal for a theater setup. The room is very long and open on the sides as you can see. I wasn’t able to run the cables along a baseboard because of the two doors in the path.

The two options I had were pull up the carpet and run cable under it, or use the cable channels to go up the wall and across the ceiling to the other side.

I’m not super happy with how it looks so I’m wondering if there’s a better idea that I’m missing?

The cables I’m running are 3 14ga speaker wires and some RG-6.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is the drag about having a room that is finished off. The only alternative is to do what you did or to cut access points and go through the walls and soffit and patch and paint. I know all about that method, since I have had to do it in my room. Trying to find the pathway that doesn't have any blocking in the way is tough. I wish there was a better solution.

·
Administrator
20,427 Posts
Where is the AVR located? Is this a basement or is the access below? What about above? Attic or another finished living space?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the AVR located? Is this a basement or is the access below? What about above? Attic or another finished living space?
The AVR is in a media cabinet against the back wall. It is a finished basement so below is solid concrete and above is another finished living space.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I rent so for door ways I find these rubber cable runs great. They come in various colors and sizes on Amazon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would agree that surface mount conduit is not the most elegant of solutions, but when the lights are off who notices?
Plenty of ideas come to mind, but with a nicely finished basement nothing I would recommend. Flat speaker cable maybe?
It looks like you have some soffit framed ducting on the ceiling. Is there room to squeeze some cabling in there? That would still involve cutting and patching.
Long narrow room tells me the ceiling joists probably run favorably, but there would still be cutting and patching.
Frankly, I am with Villagedweller... I wish there I could see an easy solution.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have cut access in walls and ceilings in basements the size of single gang wall plates to fish wires, then used blank plates to cover access. Fishing wiring is tricky, but can be done.

·
Administrator
20,427 Posts
The AVR is in a media cabinet against the back wall. It is a finished basement so below is solid concrete and above is another finished living space.
Yeah, you'd need to pull off all the floor & door trim to run behind and even then you'd still need to use some visible cable channels.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What about just painting the wire channel to match the walls and the ceiling? That would hide the channels or get them to blend without having to cut and fish.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In that situation I would attach clip-on channel..Firstly to run from your equipment along the base board..Then up the edge of the door frame..over the top and down the other side..and then along to your speakers..

It takes a bit more work but at least it's a clean installation and you don't have anything across the doorway where you walk..

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you don’t want to cut channels in the walls and replaster, what about using Sewell Ghost Wire? After painting you can still see it in certain light but it’s best thing before cutting channels in the walls.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
What about running some type of trim along the ceiling and poke a few holes here and there and fishing some wire? I see the 2 doorways but not in detail so it's difficult to see exactly what you are dealing with.

If you want to make that screenwall nicer for home theater you could cover that wall in velvet in the front and really would ideal on that underside of the sofit. You could make make panels and hide the wire in there. More work and expense but from a home theater perspective it would be worth it IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts