AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't that big into the AV scene until on a whim I purchased a Mitusbishi Widescreen TV (WT46805) about this time last year. Since then I've started putting all of the pieces together and my most recent addition was a Mitsubishi HD500 DTV receiver this weekend. Now I'm sitting here, awash in cables and connections, trying to decide the best way to put this all together. All the while trying to keep some balance between picture quality and easy of use (my girlfriend isn't a big fan of yet ANOTHER remote). Here's an overview of my setup:

Mitsubishi WT46805 Wide Screen Television

Tivo (Phillips upgraded to ~74 hours)

Mitsubishi HD500 DTV Receiver

Harman/Kardon AVR65 Receiver (older, crappy input selection)

Harman/Kardon DVD50

Harman/Kardon 5 disk CDPlayer (FL something??)

Cambridge Soundworks Speakers.. and a VCR collecting dust..

Previously the setup was:

AT&T Digital Cable -> Tivo -> Tivo into TV and Receiver (RCA Connections)

HK DVD50 into Receiver with Digital Coax and into televisions Component Video Input

HK CDPlayer into digital optical input in receiver

--

Obviously with this new equipment I'm starting to run out of ports to plug all of this stuff in. The TV only has the one Component Video Input so that's the first problem (DVD and HD500 have component video). The Tivo doesn't have component video in.. and I love that more than everything combined, but where is the best spot for that now? The HD500 only has optical digital out and if I remember correctly the receiver only handles dolby digital on the COAX (or is it one at a time?). Either way, I'm in a slight jam. Oh, and I was hoping to use a future XBox with HD as well.

So, that's the issue.. I figured the experts on this forum would be best place to start the quest. I'm not opposed to buying a switch, more hardware, etc.. but I have to calm down on the money spending after the DTV purchase (replaced 3 cable boxes with DTV receivers). I've got the feeling that a new receiver might be in order too.. but that's for sometime in the next 4-6 months. Oh, and to help with remote clutter I was thinking of getting one of those fancy all in one remotes for my girlfriend's birthday present.. but then figured it was better to have a girlfriend than a remote. ;)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

------------------

--

MmmMmmm.. donuts..

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I dont know enough about all your specific pieces of gear to comment much about their inputs and outputs...but one thing I know about is your tv since I have the 55" model, and I would just point out that it has 2 sets of component inputs. Input-3 is for your DVD player..and then theres the HDTV input whcih is what you can connect your Mitsu HD receiver into.

------------------

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.