AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My living room is very HT unfriendly, but I have to make do with what I can. The wife will NOT rearrange the setup.
I need some help on running my wires to my rear surrounds and where exactly to put those surrounds.

Here is the picture of my floor plan

And here is a more details picture of my layout (details below the image)

The black boxes are furniture (there's a computer desk in the top left, but I didn't draw that out). The blue box is my 50" plasma. The red boxes are the front surrounds (on stands). The yellow box is the sub. The green boxes are the rear surrounds (ceiling mounted). The two "X" are windows. All of the openings are doors that lead to other areas of the house. I don't think they have any importance, but I put them anyway.

Now, my rear surrounds must be ceiling (or high wall) mounted due to the kids. I already have the hardware to do so. I'm just not exactly sure on where to place them.

The other issue is how to get the wire back to those surrounds. The wall that the TV is on is an exterior wall and running wire through it is a bad idea (even the AT&T Uverse guy wouldn't do it). The angle at the top right is a fireplace. My initial thought was to run the wire [outside of the wall] up the corner angle nearest to the subwoofer. My only problem was trying to determine how to hide it (I looked at various trim molding, but the bad angle seems to shoot down any option I had). My other option is to run the wire along the baseboard over to the half-wall (to the point nearest to the right rear surround). That runs straight up to the attic. I could then run it up that way.

I'm not looking to have project boxes anywhere, rather I just want to simply run the wire. I may change my mind later, but right now that is what I want. Which option would be my best bet? Does anyone know of some good trim molding I could use if I took the first option? Do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
135 Posts
What's wrong with running it through an exterior wall? I'm about to do this next weekend. Just waiting on the CL3 rated speaker wire (make sure you get that).

The previous owner of my house had speaker wire running halfway up that wall. It does have insulation, but the fishing tape I bought says it can move through insulation.

So I don't see the problem (yet).

Did you figure out which way your ceiling joists are going? If they are running north/south on that diagram then you just have to run the wire up the TV wall, and then between the joists. You will have to cut a notch where the wall meets the ceiling because there will be a wall cap 2x4 there.

If the joists run east/west then you might want to run them up the TV wall then around the left side behind crown moulding. That's what I'm doing.

EDIT: Oh, I guess maybe you have a single story? Mine is on the 1st floor of a 2-story so I have to worry about the joists.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm on a single story. I'm not exactly sure what the problem with the TV wall it. It's an exterior wall, so it's insulated, but I'm guessing maybe it's not accessible from the attic or maybe there are the fire beams (or whatever they are) in between each wall stud. All I know at this point in time is that the AT&T guy couldn't get their wire down through that wall and they ended up having to drill to the outside and run the wire externally to the attic. I've got CL3 wire, so I'm good there. I might have to check and see if I can piggy-back on the hole that AT&T had to drill...

·
Registered
135 Posts
yes, there are probably fire break 2x4s between the studs. But all you do with that is cut the drywall, put a notch in the stud, run the wire through the notch, then repair and paint.

Likely that spot will be behind some furniture or equipment so the repair doesn't have to be perfect.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Home depot or Lowes has cable tracks that can be put on the wall floorboard etc. If you do not wish to go inwall. The tracks can be painted and hold up well.

·
Registered
637 Posts
There may or may not be firebreaks. Depends on your municipality. I did an install almost exactly like this. There is a thread about it on this forum somewhere. In my case I ran up the exterior wall, through the sill plate, through a vaulted ceiling and then down a brick wall to get to the surrounds. I can't think of any more obstructions I could have had.

The trick that I did to get access to the top of the exterior wall is went from the outside through the soffit vent and from there could access the sill plate. Take a look outside and see what you discover.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
If you have carpeting you can run the wire under the carpet and put the rear surrounds on stands behind the or to the ends of the seating area. I'm sure that you can find an installer in your area that will do the wiring for you.

Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very helpful Wayne. While I wasn't able to follow it to the T, a lot of your tips of the trade made the process MUCH easier!!!! Now, here's what I found out and what I had to do:

We couldn't access the exterior wall because the pitch of the roof, the proximity to the fireplace, and the over abundance of exposed nail tips made it probably 95% inaccessible for us amatuers (a pro might have been able to do it, though). So we ended up running in the best location in terms of what we could easily access. This meant running wire around the fireplace hearth/footing (whatever it is called) and up another wall. It actually wasn't much worse that if I was able to access the exterior wall directly. The 16AWG wire was kind of a pain to get under the baseboard and carpet, but we managed. Also, we decided to move the speakers in a bit more and angle the sound in towards the center of the area. I think this was a very wise move. It sounds MUCH better!!! I've attached the altered floorplan image.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
If you have a basement, sometimes it is easier to run wires that way.

Edit: Let me add - measure twice drill once. Be careful if you do not have drywall covered walls (mine are plaster over metal lath! - sort of like living in a faraday cage
- maybe I should ground the metal lath, and add some under the floors for complete coverage)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts