AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions one might have on which AV receiver of Low Cost might suit my needs. Am planning on eventually adding the Take 5 Energy System to this as I have heard these and feel they sound great for the price. Additionally any other speaker suggestions or possibly Home Theater Boxed sets that are nice for the lower budgets. Thanks

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Here's what I did.

My friend had a Denon Reciever that he paid $850 for. I found the next highest model at Ubid for $350. I gave him $250, he chiped in $100. He got a better reciever and I got a great reciever for $250.

After he told his friends at work some others orchestrated similar deals.

Ubid has some really cheap refurbished recievers. It's a bit of a gamble though and you can read some customer horror stories online. But, to try and keep this short...you may find a good reciever there for little money.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I purchased a JVC 6500VBK on ubid for $150 less than a month ago. It is a great reciever, arrived in perfect condition and I am very satisfied with it.

Having said that, I now wish to sell it :eek: The only reason being that I want DPL II in my reciever and am looking at the Denon 1602. It will cost me more, ~$300 but I'll skip eating out for a month :)

I know JVC is not in the same league as Denon/Onkyo/Marantz etc. But it is great value for money. If you are interested, please email me. If not, I can suggest some similar brands - Onkyo 484/494, Denon 1601/1602. The 484 and 1601 are oldver versions (without DPLII) and are cheaper.

·
Registered
75 Posts
How about a sony 930 (i prefer this model to the 940 myself). Its an older model now and even in expensive europe you can pick it up for US$400 or less. So you can probably pick it up for about 200 over in the states.

I have had this model myself for the last couple of years and I'm very pleased. It may not be high end but the sound quality it outputs is as good as an average movie theater. Offcourse if you have more money I would now go for the top of the line kenwood or if that's too expensive what about the sony 1070.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The best deal right now is the Kenwood VR509 receiver for $400. I has Dolby Digital, DTS, and Pro Logic II decoders, component video switching, 5x100 Watts of power, 5.1 multichannel inputs, and a bunch of other stuff. For all the features it has, $400 is a steal.

·
Registered
904 Posts
look at outlaw audio at www.outlawaudio.com they are a fairly new manufacturer who does business primarily online. I have not yet heard a bad review of their receiver and they have a generous return policy if you decide you don't like it.

also denon and onkyo make very nice receivers.

jake

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recently got the Denon 1601 at Good Guys for $199. It a discontinued model. Don't know if Good Guys has any left, but I have seen it for sale elsewhere. I have it connected to the Take 5s and it all sounds great. Despite "only" 60 wpc, it fills my good-sized living room up with no problems.

Dave

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
vruiz,

The VR-507 is an even better deal. It is the EXACT same reciever as the 509, except for the IR learning remote and component in/outs. It can be had for as little as $250 shipped ! This is the one I'll be picking up after considering the Denon and Onkyo as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I recently purchased an HK120 for under $400; HK is well made, with plenty of power and PLII, plus HK's other alternatives to dolby; very happy with it; seems HK calculates their power outputs differently than other brands; 40w/channel on an HK will blow away a lot of 100w/channel systems.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have had great luck with the Sherwood 7106. 100WPC, S Video connects, 6 channel input, 6channel output, DTS/DD, real binding post for banana plugs for all your speaker connects (no spring loaded clips)... All this for under $300.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.