AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that the black out cloth works well. I've also seen some other posts where people have used some type of white shiny plastic type panneling they got from home depot.

What would be better? I haven't actually seen the black out cloth yet, but I would think it is not, in any way, reflective.

Would I want my screen to have a shiny surface or matte?

Also, i'm curious about painting the screen. I have seen posts where people have painted their black out cloth. This just seems strange to me. Painting cloth.

If this is true, what type of gray or silver paint should I use to try to increasse contast and deepen blacks? What color of gray or silver did you use? I don't want to buy a gray paint that is too dark or to light that it makes no difference.

I will be buying the Panasonic L300u in a couple of days.

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is what I have in plan for my screen at the moment. I do not have any exact measurements until I get my projector and see what I like best.

I'm aiming for a screen size of about 70" - 80".

Below my screen is a small cabinet containing my DVD player, VCR, HTPC and amplifier/receiver. The TV is next to the cabinet. Both the TV and cabinet are the same height. As for the screen 'cabinet/box', I will use oak to match the TV and componet cabinet.

I'm thinking the 'sunk in' look to the screen will add to the overall apearance of the screen when not in use. Also, I'm thinking it may cut down on some of the reflected light. Around the screen, inside the 'box' will be black felt/velvet.

I was just curious on your opinions of this. Perhaps others can point out any possible problems I may have not considered.

http://pages.prodigy.net/cosmicgrooves/screen.JPG

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The projector will be in the living room. All the walls are white in my apartment, so I don't know how that might add to the ambient light.

I am a complete noob to this, so any comments are great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just built my own screen, I had Home Depot cut the wood (1"x3" Poplar) and screwed the whole thing together with wood screws and corner braces. then I tried the "screen door" spline method but I could never get the groove cut "just right" so I mounted the screen to the wood with "white duct tape" I stretched "Dazian White Matte" projection material over the frame and started by pulling the center sides tight, then the top and bottom center, then I pulled the corners tight and taped them down. Easy! and my screen is as tight as a drum! looks great and hardly cost anything, also I am building an outer black frame to be covered out of black velvet out of- get this- insulation foam! glued together (4" wide with a 1" lip) I am going to glue the velvet to it with spray contact cement (make sure its OK for foam) and it will hold to the front of the screen by friction. I will submit pics when I am done but my screen was easy, fast, and so far pretty cheap! oh also my screen is 80"x60" -100" dia. and i have an infocus X1

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has anyone looked at the new GatorFoam Super White? I got a sample of it and it makes my Behr ultra white paint look a little off-white in comparison. It is also a little more reflective than the paint. I use a CRT PJ so whiter is better.

Dan

·
Registered
433 Posts
The favorites right now seem to be:

1. Parkland Plastic

2. Do-Able board (found in the pegboard section)

3. Blackout cloth (found at most fabric stores like Joann's Fabrics)

Now these all look good with the plain white surface or you can try painting them with a gray paint and see if that works better for you. There are allot of posts with different paint recipes.

I am using Do-able board painted with Misty Evening and have had excellent results as well as other people have. I am using the panasonic PT-L200U. I also used plain blackout cloth and it too looked good but my black levels are better on the painted screen. There is no hot spotting using the blackout cloth or the do-able board i'm not sure about the parkland plastic.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't forget the dazsian coated celtic cloth ... that stuff is great, and it comes bigger than the others you mentioned (I needed something 10' wide, in 4:3).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Which coated deltic cloth they make some diffrent ones. Are you talking about the actual "projector" one?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Coated Celtic cloth, dazian only makes one of as far as I know. Do a search on the forum, there are exact links to the pages at www.dazian.com.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.