AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing up my theater room, and I'd like some suggestions on rear speaker placement. This is the room I have to work with:

Attachment 219272

Attachment 219273

Attachment 219274

The last sketch shown where I'd "like" to mount the rear speakers (highlighted in red). The couch with be below that, slightly in front, centered width wise with the room with the couch facing the longer 14' 7" wall. That small dip in the ceiling is where the HVAC duct is, and is completely boxed in. However, I left myself an access panel, so I have access to run speakers almost anyway I need through there. The other half of the room is completely open, so I could mount them on the walls behind, but the width of that half is not the same as the half where the counch/projector will be (just about a foot difference), so that means the rear speakers would not be equa-distance from the main listening position. I don't know that that is a deal breaker, but probably not ideal. I could do on the walls next to the couch, but part of the problem is the ceiling is very low there, and the walkway to enter that half of the room will be quite narrow due to the couch (2' 6" or so, 3' at most), so if there is a rear speaker sticking into the walkway 12" or so, it will be greatly in the way. The part where it says "Laundry Room" is now a wall with a door, but the hallway entrance is still open (and will likely remain so). I'm open to any suggestions. I currently have some Monitor 40's I'm using as surrounds, but that will likely change as I upgrade my speakers.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you would like to do. Do you want to use on-wall speakers mounted on the HVAC soffet, above and just behind the couch? Mounted flat against the vertical part of the soffet, the speakers would send the big majority of their energy right over the heads of the folks seated on the couch. It seems like you would need to use a mount that would let you point the speakers down at a very steep angle. The resulting soundfield would not be very diffuse, though. Not ideal, but you could do it.

Have you considered in-wall speakers for the surrounds? From your diagrams it looks like in-walls would let you come pretty close to a "classic" surround layout with the speakers positioned slightly above and behind the main seating position.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a possiblity, I hadn't really even thought of that. I'll have to see if I can make that work. The walls are already in place, and the wall on the opposite side of the entrance is an outside wall, so it's not as deep, but that might work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts