AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Long time member, not much of a poster. I've built a few generic theater setups into rooms and now I am planning on doing a full build at my new house.

The room is currently a bit over 19' square with a 8' suspended ceiling. It is a "sunroom" so the roof is metal and the walls/windows are one piece. The room is so-so on the insulation front, the walls have built in insulation and there is some generic pink stuff above the suspended ceiling. The floor is solid wood, there is a built in fireplace/grill on one wall and steps from the main house going down about 23" from a set of double doors. I am planning to build a platform at the same height out from the doors that I will have the second row of seats on

A shot of the room from the outside:

A view from one door into the room:

The stairs into the house:

The fireplace:

My current plan is to stick build walls using GG and sheetrock for sound proofing. I do not believe I will be able to do much with the ceiling as it will not be able to hold a lot of weight (i.e. sheetrock). If anyone has done work with one of these types of rooms I would love some input!

The room will combine 2 of my passions, home theater and saltwater fish. Since the room dimensions are square I am planning to divide the room width wise to get better sound performance. I am then going to install my fish tanks behind the new dividing wall, allowing the fish to be viewed from within the theater. This will also allow for a "wet room" behind the fish tanks.

For equipment I will be using what I used in my last setup; a Carada 144" 16:9 screen and a PT-AX100U.

I am looking for input on a few things:

a.) The best way to rebuild the interior of the room to put the theater in. I am planning on leaving the exterior of the room the same (stucco, windows) and building something inside. Should I stick build framing, or ?

b.) The dimensions of the theater part of the room. I am thinking currently of making it 19x15 but some of the calculators I have run have said 19x12.8!

c.) Any suggestions on dealing with the ceiling.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
With 19' length, you can do two rows. I'd put the screen at the end away from the house, and use the level of the house door as the level of the riser. Make the riser the whole width of the theater in the back, and the door just opens onto it.

On splitting the room, I'm not sure I'd go that way. How many chairs wide do you want to go? I have four chairs (berkline, thin ones, but wider than 88's) in a 16' wide room. It's ok, but tight with aisles on both sides. Make sure you know your seating plan before dividing the width.

Also, it's true that a 19' x 19' is non-ideal from a room mode perspective. However, that isn't the end of the world.

I'd make sure you understand your goals before doing soundproofing. If you do the walls but not the ceiling (and I would be careful adding weight to a long-span thin ceiling like that unless you know what is in there), you'll still get significant sound outside, and potentially in the house (through the structure). I would suggest putting a stereo/sub out there now and turning it up to about what you expect to listen to on a normal basis. See how loud it is in the house and outside.

If you are going to cover the windows and such with drywall, then doing dd/gg isn't necessarily a bad idea. Just realized that you will still get sound in the house and outside. Just covering the windows is going to be the biggest bang for the bug, I would expect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your suggestions!

I am very concerned about the ceiling and being able to do anything with it other then stuff insulation into it. The main goal for the walls is a.) removing the windows from the room (they are plastic..) and b.) insulation.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoble /forum/post/15565473

I am very concerned about the ceiling and being able to do anything with it other then stuff insulation into it.

It would help to know what you have up above the suspended ceiling. Since you are going to build up some walls you could rest new ceiling joists on top of the walls resulting in a true room within a room.

Perhaps they would fit between whatever exists now so you don't loose too much headroom.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15565590

It would help to know what you have up above the suspended ceiling. Since you are going to build up some walls you could rest new ceiling joists on top of the walls resulting in a true room within a room.

Perhaps they would fit between whatever exists now so you don't loose too much headroom.

I have about 8" above the suspended ceiling to the metal roof. I could rest new ceiling joists but I am concerned about the distance they would have to go (which depends on how wide the theater room becomes). I would like to do a room within a room, I just could not find any references to how to build one.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
You could span 19' with a 2x8 for sure. You can use a 2x6 with some species of wood.

That's assuming 5 psf dead load. If you were going to use two layers of drywall we can calculate the weight and see if you have to go to a 2x10.

Tim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim /forum/post/15565933

You could span 19' with a 2x8 for sure. You can use a 2x6 with some species of wood.

That's assuming 5 psf dead load. If you were going to use two layers of drywall we can calculate the weight and see if you have to go to a 2x10.

Tim

Wow.. I am so happy that I posted!

If I build a room within a room I am assuming that I will go no more then 15' wide and run the joists that direction. Would that work? I could also do 3 walls (2 rooms) and the center wall would be about 5' off one side and 15' off the other so it could be "load bearing" at least for the ceiling (not for the actual roof).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim /forum/post/15566591

Great idea. With only a 15' span you could definitely go 2x6 if only 1 layer of drywall.

Tim

Thank you so much Tim!

I downloaded the Span Tables for Joists and Rafters document and have been reviewing things.

What would 2 layers of drywall weigh? I was thinking I would use 2 layers of drywall + GG for the ceiling.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Looks like 1/2" is 1.6psf, 5/8 is 2.2psf.. so either add those together if using 1/2+5/8, or double whichever thickness you're using.

Don't forget that insulation/acoustic treatments/trapezes/ etc will also add to the dead load.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using the 5psf dead load calcs for 2 layers of 5/8, although I suppose it should technically be fine.

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts