AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The attached image shows the basic room layout, including interior width (20.5 feet) and length (28 feet), as well as the distance from screen to the center of the first (14.5 feet) and second (21.5 feet) rows. The rear seating riser is 12 inches in height.

The position and width of the screen (2.35:1 / 126" wide), distance to the first row, and position of columns and speakers (not shown) generally work well for both audio and video.

I'd like some of you guys' (and ladies') suggestions on the arrangement of seating. I have two requirements (at least at the moment... everything is subject to change
): (1) the room will function for both music and HT, and I'd really like to keep a central first row seating position, and (2) I want some place that has a reasonably good view to accomodate two people, for more "intimate" movies.

The seating sizes shown are taken from one of the Ekornes stressless models, the individual seats being ~30" wide, and the 2-person sofas being ~66" wide. I really like the styling of some of their models, and plan on checking out a dealer to see how comfy they would be. Something larger, like the Berkline 090's, would limit me to only three or four on the first row (three if keeping the center seating position).

I can't say I really like the styling of the Berklines, and I'm not too excited about putting "traditional" looking theater seating either. Despite the room being designed for great sound and video, it will serve a more relaxed TV watching and social gathering role as well, so I'd like the seating to be a bit more informal (I guess that's the right term to use?).

So here are two options I've come up with using the Ekornes single seating and 2-person sofas. For reference, Ekornes has ~90" wide 3-person sofas. Any suggestions about arrangement, other brands/models, or stock tips
are most welcomed.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
second option:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus
I want some place that has a reasonably good view to accomodate two people, for more "intimate" movies. ;)
Just make sure you get plastic furniture covers!

- Cryo

P.S. I like both layouts.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Either looks great!

However if you like to snuggle with that someone special then you may want to consider a love seat for the money spot! On the other hand if you want full effect of movie with no distractions then keep single chairs in money spot!:D

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's kinda the tough choice. I'm leaning towards the five individual seats on the front, with the pair of "love seats" in the rear. For music, I just don't want to sit off center. With that screen size, I think the rear seats would be fine for "couple" viewing. ;)

Also, I don't think it would look right to have four love seats, and just one single chair (it might look a bit out of place). Thus, again leaning towards the individual seats up front.

But... I'd really love to hear any other suggestions, even ones for radically different arrangements, alternative seating brands to look at (I've dug through the numerous threads a search pulled up... that's where I found the ekornes!), etc.

One of the things I wanted originally was an informal seating area that had people sort of facing each other in some places for conversation during football games, normal TV watching, etc. I had thought I could put a chair or sofa on one (or both) side walls, with two rows of forward facing seating. Looking at the arrangement now, I don't see how I could make that happen. At least with 5 individual chairs up front I could move things around to create more of a conversation friendly environment when needed. Any other thoughts on how to accomplish that without really ruining the theater setup?

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess no one has any ideas better than what I already came up with? Man, I was really hoping someone would toss out a sure winner. :)

·
Registered
24,920 Posts
I do like your second layout but the reason is, it is similar to the one I'm going to use in my theater when I redo it. I think you have the bases covered there and the front row with individual seating would be my first choice. Having 20' plus allows five seats abreast in a curved arrangement so I'd go for it. If you are going to have buddies over (and you aren't intending to make love to any of them) then having the distance between is most comfortable for sports or watching movies.

Art

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I think I've about settled on that arrangment. Two important things I realized really lead me that direction:

(1) Individual seating is more flexible. If I want a more informal appearance for TV watching, superbowl parties, lounging around talking to friends, etc., it is pretty easy to pick up a single seat and move it. I could place seats on the side walls, up front, or wherever. The Ekornes seating looks like it would be appropriate nearly anywhere, where the Berkline theater seating really only looks right in rows facing the screen (IMO).

(2) Again flexibility... with the two loveseats in the back, I could always easily rearrange to put one loveseat in the center of each row, and fill in the outsides with individual seating. If I ever decide two-person movie watching is more critical than one-person music sweetspot, this arrangement easily accomodates that (as does the first, sort of - the loveseats are wider than two singles, so it would be difficult to put three across on either row, leaving the 2+2 configuration as the only real option).

Real theater seats, besides not having the look I want, are just too inflexible in arrangement. Same for a sectional sofa. Berklines are better, but still seem too bulky to "look right" in various positions, so despite taking up more room I think they would be somewhat more "permanent" in arrangement.

BTW Art, which brand of seating are you looking at?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.