AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup necessitates that my couch be against the back wall (I've moved it about 6-9 inches off the wall, that's about all i can get away with). I have a 5.1 setup and the surrounds currently looks like this. They're Dipole Paradigm cinema adp v.3's.

I'm fairly happy with the rear soundstage/imaging I've been able to achieve in my limited environment, but they are severely lacking in dynamics, impact, and bass. Also i'm using a SVS SB12 right now which can go up to the 150hz crossover i have on the cinema adp's but soon i'll be switching to a larger ported sub that won't be able to go that high. Since i don't have the cash for larger bipoles (as opposed to dipoles) i figured i could switch to monopoles since i have a pair of paradigm atom v.6's i could use (i also have the option of using some soon to be modded dayton b652's). I could mount the Atom's kinda like this... (they will be pointed down toward the listening position to achieve the proper vertical axis)

Here are my concerns:

1. how will my surround sound stage change? the atoms would be roughly 90 degrees from center, where as the cinema adp's were 100-110 degrees from center.

2. obviously i'll have way more bass than the cinema adp's but will placing the atoms right in front of the book case cause a lot of nulls and peaks in the response?

3. I know the LCR's are important to timber match but do the surrounds matter that much? my LR's are currently Kef 104/2's (my change soon to something that timber matches center like paradigm monitor 9's) and center is paradigm cc-290 v.5.

My basic goal is to achieve more lower freq. response without sacrificing rear soundstage

Suggestions and advice of all kinds are welcome!

· Registered
6,162 Posts
Any problems due to the angle of your rear speakers are dwarfed by the strong reflections coming off the wall directly behind your head. Those reflections create comb filtering, which horribly skews the frequency response at your ears. The solution is thick absorption on any wall area behind anyone's head. I know this isn't what you asked about! But it's the correct advice.

--Ethan

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer  /t/1517793/suggestions-on-surround-speakers-and-placement#post_24358330

Any problems due to the angle of your rear speakers are dwarfed by the strong reflections coming off the wall directly behind your head. Those reflections create comb filtering, which horribly skews the frequency response at your ears. The solution is thick absorption on any wall area behind anyone's head. I know this isn't what you asked about! But it's the correct advice.

--Ethan

Thanks! that is great advice and i've actually already been considering that. I'm thinking about building some owen corning 703 sound absorbtion panels to put on the wall directly behind the listening position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.