AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I need to get my hipix into a smaller box, becuase my computer is too big for my hospital room, If I get a smallest set up they say I can have it here.

I willing to put something togather if I have too but becuase I'm sick, am willing to purchase a assembled computer. if I can find one that is small and the hipix fits in, also would like firewire or room for a firewire card in it.

thanks for any help

any ideas

--tony

·
Registered
187 Posts
Greetings,

I don't know where you can buy one, but it would be possible ot assemble one.

Not sure what your exact purposes are, but you can get a small footprint case from Aopen that has 180W. Aopen, Asus, and other vendors sell microATX motherboards that have AGP slots also.

For video-in, instead of using Hi-Pix, Aopen makes a half height TV card with video in. It is based on the Conexant/Brooktree chip, so you would be able to use dScaler. For video out, GeForce MX200 is available in half-height format. Also, I think the Matrox G550 will fit also, if you prefer.

I am at a loss for sound card, but usually the motherboards have sound built-in. If you want something fancy, you would need to get something that goes through the USB.

I hope this helps. Perhaps someone in this forum can build something for you.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
This (see attachment) was the

smallest "generic" case I could

find to fit everything I wanted.

Inside is RadeonLE (VGA)+

HiPix (HDTV)+

Fortissimo 1 (sound)+

CyberMail (dScaler/capture)

60gb system disk + DVDrom drive + IDE tray

slot for removable drive (my HiPix movie

library...)

600MHz PIII Mini ATX motherboard.

Many cases are extra tall to support old style

card heights. This case was less tall so

only supported the newer height cards (like

the HiPix). Also internally room is saved

by a small power supply, and drives that mount

over the motherboard.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to both of you for the info and Ideas.

Pvr

what you have looks as tho it would make everyone happy here... I got the ok from the Powers at be, useing the Pic just a few hours ago. aggh for 15 hundred dollars day you would think I could have a computer in my room, without haveing to jump though hoops.

People bring vcrs etc all the time, on long stays.. I should know I help connect them to the tv system offten

anyway.

I will Prevail.

so PVR Where did you get the case etc, and also the removeable drive. Im ignorent about those so sould use some info.. thanks.

Also what was the cost like for the set up, minus the hipix

tony

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
I bought the case from Fry's Electronics retail

outlet. The case and power supply was about $79.

That "slot" you see under the DVD drive is an

"inClose" IDE mounting system. I have a bunch

of 80gb Maxtor drives in the matching

"inClose" drive trays. So it is very easy to

swap hard disks without opening the case.

The plastic carriers that hold the hard disks

cost $12 each at Fry's as well.

You can put a wide range of motherboards, CPUs,

DVD-ROM drives and such into the case.

One downside to this "cheap" case is that it

doesn't have all the sound insulation of a

purpose built HTPC case so you can hear the

system disk a bit more than one might want.

I bought all my memory, CPUs, and hard disks

by looking on pricewatch.com for the best

prices mailorder.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you hve a make or model on teh case as i have no access to a frys in minnesota.. agghh again back to no case. wonder if I could get teh case online some where.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You might want to check out the MSI 6215, which is only 3" by 12" by 13" and is advertised as having 2 PCI slots. I've never seen one but have been curious as to whether it would work for HiPix or AccessDTV. The machine is offered in numerous different configurations at directron.com/ms6215.html .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Forgot to mention that the MSI 6215 has firewire ports that presumably could be used for your hard drives. Directron also offers an external firewire enclosure that appears to hold interchangeable IDE hard drives.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You might want to check out the MSI 6215, which is only 3" by 12" by 13" and is advertised as having 2 PCI slots. I've never seen one but have been curious as to whether it would work for HiPix or AccessDTV. The machine is offered in numerous different configurations at directron.com/ms6215.html .

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I think the main problem is video. No AGP slot. Unless you want to live with 4 Meg video, you are looking at using 1 slot for PCI video card.

Quote:
Display Cache 4MB SDRAM
but it also says

Quote:
Display Support High Resolution and Reflash Rate Up to 1280x1024x64K
(Reflash Rate???)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Any idea what is the video chipset? Would it be able to do custom (16x9) resolutions, even if it's only 848x480 or 960x540 due to low memory?

Tomasz

·
Registered
59 Posts
For the "hipix only box" that tony is looking for, would the video card make any difference? I know it wouldn't for an "accessdtv only" box. In any event, the built-in video seems to be adequate for basic DVD play.

I seem to recall, incidentally, that the MSI 6215 has the i815e chipset, which others have recommended for HTPCs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.