14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: Purchased the following setup

Polk Monitor 70s in the front

Polk Monitor CS2 center channel

Polk Monitor 30s in the rear

Premier Acoustic PA-150 subwoofer

Denon 1612

EDIT: Wife approved bigger budget (up to $1k), let me know where upgrades would be most valuable.

I'm putting together a home theater system for my basement. The TV is a 55" LG LED mounted in the corner of the room. The room is about 15' across and much deeper than where the system will reside (probably 30 ft long). I want to get tower speakers in the front.

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-S426HCS3-Theater-Speaker-System/dp/B004AIKL9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341530863&sr=8-1&keywords=jamo Thinking about these for speakers $199

and http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-629 this for a sub $135

Then probably a HT receiver that isn't the current model to get the most bang for my buck, like this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-TX-SR707-7-2-Channel-A-V-Surround-Home-Theater-Receiver-/280903239404?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item41672346ec#ht_565wt_1396 I've seen several between $300 and $350

I don't *need* fancy new features, mostly just HDMI switching, but if I can make it fit in the budget i'll go to a newer model.

I'm open to any suggestions, including spending more in one category and less in another.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You will definitely need a more powerful subwoofer for a room that size, not sure which one, I'd go look through the subwoofer forum, they have a

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
In a big room like that, you definitely need a much more powerful sub. What is the cubic feet (volume) of that room? Sub performance is dependent on the volume of air in the room.

Take a look at the Denon AVR 1612. Last year's model on closeout for $199 at Amazon. That's a good entry level receiver that would leave you more budget for speakers/sub.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into a bigger subwoofer. The ceiling in the room is a bit low but overall the room has a huge volume outside of the area where the listening will occur.

The Denon AVR 1612 is definitely on my short list of receivers. For some reason I overlooked the fact that it was a 7.2 receiver, I would prefer a 5.1.

·
Registered
11,512 Posts
Spend less on your receiver and put the money towards better speakers:

This Denon is refurbished but comes with a 1 year full warranty and has everything you need including an iPod dock and Audyssey MultiEQ. Under $200 shipped:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

As for speakers, I would probably spend a little more and get something like the Polk Monitor 70's that are on sale and in your budget. Or the Matin Logan Motion 10 series:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290208

I have seen the Motion 10 speakers go on sale quite a bit at Newegg if you can wait.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I'm guessing you mean the opposite? That you would prefer 7.1? With your budget, I'd recommend spending on a 5.1 speaker setup for right now, even if you do go with a 7.1 receiver. Then add the two extra speakers down the road.

And there is no 7.2. That's just Onkyo's way of saying that there are two subwoofer line outs. For running two subs it achieves nothing more than having one subwoofer line out and an RCA splitter. Movie soundtracks only come with one subwoofer channel. You'd have to get a receiver with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 room correction software (which is way out of your budget range) before there is an audio quality benefit in having more than one subwoofer line out on the receiver.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Polk Monitor 70s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290208 x2 = $359.98

Should I go for the Polk center and surrounds?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290200 $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290212 $124.99

As for the subwoofer I was reading and the BIC F12 seems to be well liked, assuming it is powerful enough to fill the room... Any other suggestions in this category? I've been reading through threads on the subwoofer forum to try to find something.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M $200.68

With the Denon receiver it puts me just below the $1,000 budget. ($969.64)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html $169.99 + $14 shipping

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikesoup  /t/1418897/suggestions-speakers-sub-av-receiver-budget-650-1000#post_22195306

As for the subwoofer I was reading and the BIC F12 seems to be well liked, assuming it is powerful enough to fill the room...

The BIC F12 would be challenged in a 15x30 room. Better to look at the BIC PL-200, or even better, the Premier Acoustics PA-150.

Reactions: ilikesoup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1418897/suggestions-speakers-sub-av-receiver-budget-650-1000#post_22195343

The BIC F12 would be challenged in a 15x30 room. Better to look at the BIC PL-200, or even better, the Premier Acoustics PA-150.

With a coupon code I was able to find the BIC PL-200 for $279.65 will probably pull the trigger on this.

Any other opinions about the Polk center and surrounds? I have been eyeing up the Monitor 70s since I heard them in my friend's house, but they weren't really within reach until now, and I like the look/sound of them (wife likes the look which is a big plus).

·
Registered
11,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikesoup  /t/1418897/suggestions-speakers-sub-av-receiver-budget-650-1000#post_22195383

With a coupon code I was able to find the BIC PL-200 for $279.65 will probably pull the trigger on this.

Any other opinions about the Polk center and surrounds? I have been eyeing up the Monitor 70s since I heard them in my friend's house, but they weren't really within reach until now, and I like the look/sound of them (wife likes the look which is a big plus).

When the Infinity Primus 362 speakers are on sale, I would recommend those over the Polks's but based on your budget the 70's are a solid choice.

The Premier Acoustic (PA-150) subwoofer would be a better choice over the BIC-PL-200 and it was on a recent sale for $300, but I believe the coupon has expired.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1418897/suggestions-speakers-sub-av-receiver-budget-650-1000#post_22195343

Got a $299 price on the Premier Acoustics PA-150 so that will be my subwoofer. Going to get stuff on order and enjoy the crap out of this system.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
11,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikesoup  /t/1418897/suggestions-speakers-sub-av-receiver-budget-650-1000#post_22196354

Got a $299 price on the Premier Acoustics PA-150 so that will be my subwoofer. Going to get stuff on order and enjoy the crap out of this system.

Thanks everyone.

Congrats! That is a beast of a sub for $299, you did good!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk  /t/1418897/suggestions-speakers-sub-av-receiver-budget-650-1000#post_22197328

Congrats! That is a beast of a sub for $299, you did good!

Yeah. You are going to love the bass output on that sub

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Be sure to let us know how it all sounds

If this is your first Denon receiver, check out AVS member batpig's resources on using Denons and running Audyssey . Should help out quite a bit.

If you need HDMI cables or a subwoofer cable, I like Tartan Cables (you can find them on Amazon). Very nice quality for inexpensive prices. As good as Monster Cables costing twice as much or more at BestBuy.

And after you've read batpig and get ready to setup your sub with Audyssey, here's a good tip (it won't make much sense before then). Set your gain (volume) on the sub such that Audyssey determines a sub channel level at or close to (just below) 0db. This optimizes the gain of the sub amp for the input coming from the receiver, and it can improve the bass quality of the subwoofer output. What I do is run Audyssey for one listening position, see what it comes up with, and then run it again until I get that gain setting right on the sub. Then rerun Audyssey a final time for multiple listening positions. Then if you need more bass, you can always bump up the sub channel level on the receiver 2 or 3db (don't change the gain on the sub).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll post my experience but I don't have a lot to compare to so I bet I'll be super impressed. Thanks for the link to the Denon setup.

I see you're in Grand Rapids cel4145, I actually just moved to Hudsonville last week and bought a new house which is why I'm buying this setup. Thanks for all the advice in the replies!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikesoup  /t/1418897/suggestions-speakers-sub-av-receiver-budget-650-1000#post_22199969

I'll post my experience but I don't have a lot to compare to so I bet I'll be super impressed. Thanks for the link to the Denon setup.

I see you're in Grand Rapids cel4145, I actually just moved to Hudsonville last week and bought a new house which is why I'm buying this setup. Thanks for all the advice in the replies!

Welcome to GR
Great place to live, and no it's not normally 100 degrees in the summer. LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had to run Audyssey about a thousand times and crawl under a table to reach the gain knob on my sub, but I finally got it to -1.5db (couldn't nail down 0db). It seems to be really twitchy, switching between +6.5db and -11db with minimal adjustments. The volume/gain knob on the sub ended up somewhere around 8 o clock (I think around 2-3) with this setting.

I'm extremely happy with the performance and I get very usable bass from the Premier Acoustic PA-150 in the living area, but like I had said earlier I don't have a lot of systems to compare to, in any case I now enjoy listening in my living room more than the mediocre (by comparison) sound performance of a real movie theater.

I'm not sure if i'm imagining it or if i'm just paranoid because of the automatic settings, but there seems to be an abundance of mid-bass in the system. The Audyssey settings put the front three speakers at "full range" with no crossover and crossed the subwoofer over at 120hz. I guess my question is this: Is audyssey compensating for the overlap of the natural response of the Monitor 70s going down to something like 40hz at -3db?

If it doesn't compensate I feel like there would be excessive mid bass between 40 and 100hz. I've played with crossover settings on the mains in the front, but it feels more empty when I turn them on, so I am back to all of the automatic settings that audyssey picked up, which sound better than anything I have configured. I guess I could go in and adjust the individual speaker crossovers to see if I can find something I like more.

The full setup of the system is Polk Monitor 70s in the front, CS2 center channel, Monitor 30s in the rear, Premier Acoustic PA-150 subwoofer, and the Denon 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1418897/suggestions-speakers-sub-av-receiver-budget-650-1000#post_22197971

And after you've read batpig and get ready to setup your sub with Audyssey, here's a good tip (it won't make much sense before then). Set your gain (volume) on the sub such that Audyssey determines a sub channel level at or close to (just below) 0db. This optimizes the gain of the sub amp for the input coming from the receiver, and it can improve the bass quality of the subwoofer output. What I do is run Audyssey for one listening position, see what it comes up with, and then run it again until I get that gain setting right on the sub. Then rerun Audyssey a final time for multiple listening positions. Then if you need more bass, you can always bump up the sub channel level on the receiver 2 or 3db (don't change the gain on the sub).

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Audyssey bases it's recommended crossover points on where it feels your speakers start to roll off. If that point is very low, it recommends large or full range.

However, most of us run even our mains as "small" instead of full range. Try 60 hz or 80hz for the towers and 80hz for the center. Many people end up using 80hz because that takes the burden of producing the low frequencies off the receiver amplifier and the speakers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the reply. It automatically set the Monitor 30s to "Small" and 60hz, I could probably bump that to 80hz

Will setting the size of the speaker automatically set the crossover, or should I set it manually in the crossover section of the menu? Also should I move these questions to the Amp or Audio setup section?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts