AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am comparing the cost of a Mitsu 73" Diamond Line RPTV (probably around $6500? delivered) to a FPTV setup. I have measured the room and determined the following:

My seating position is about 15 feet from the wall that the screen would be mounted and the wall is 15'-10" wide and the ceiling height is 7'-6". The ceiling is a suspended ceiling and I installed an outlet about 11 feet back from the front wall in the studs beneath the suspended ceiling. In addition, I have installed a couple of 1" flexible conduits to run cable from an area that is now behind the TV cabinet to the projector location.

Centering a screen on the front wall allows for a 92" diagonal screen (45Hx80W) and for aesthetic/frame/size purposes the Stewart SND92H with the Velux applique was an agreable type of look for the wife. I am not stuck on Stewart, it is an example of what I would like a screen to look like when complete. This size of screen would go from just left of the light switch to just left of the frame box-out that is visible by the ceiling. The top of the screen frame would be just below the box out to the bottom of the frame approximately 29" above the floor. This allows me room for a 21" tall double-wide shelving unit (flexi-rack or Salamander designs) below the screen for my receiver, DVD, etc. and allow me the 8" to place my Paradigm Reference CC (8" high) on top of the cabinet.

My viewing is probably 50% TV and 50% movies. My TV service is Time Warner cable (non-digital) and a VCR with a standard composite video out would be used. I do not currently own a progressive scan DVD player, but want to make sure whatever projector I purchase can be used for future formats (as best as feasible). HDTV would come to mind as well as prog. scan.

The ambient lighting can be well controlled in the room.

What would you recommend?

I have thought about an LCD projector (around $5000 +/- and a Stewart Grayhawk screen (or equal - preferably cheaper -$1000) that can do 16:9, HDTV, prog scan, and has a stretch mode for 4:3)

See current HT pictures at the following:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28828.html

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
You might want to consider what I'm doing. I have a similiar situation. However, I've built my TV wall out 24 inches and built my existing TV into the wall along with storage shelves for my stereo components. Then mount your screen in front of the TV wall. This way you can use the save the projector for dvd viewing. I say this because bulbs can be expensive and regular low resolution TV viewing on a 92 inch screen leaves a lot to be desired.

Concerning you ceiling outlet location, I think you may be a little short. My Lt150 has a short throw and it is located approx. 11'3" back. Your receptacle might be right in front of the projector. You'll have to check the spec's for the projector your buying. Another suggestion is to get an extra 2 foot of blackdrop on your screen. This will give you more verticle placement options.

And last but not least, just cause you have $6000 plus dollars doesn't mean you have to spend it all to get a kick ass picture. I have a Nec LT150 ($2300 shipped from Dell) with a Dalite Model B 45x80 screen ($192 with 2' of extra black drop) and a Panasonic RP56 DVD player w/progressive scan ($218). This setup rocks.

With respect to the Mits, I love them for TV, but front projection wins hands down for movies.

Jon

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
For LCD projectors, it sounds from the postings here like the Sanyo is the one to beat. (PLV-60, I think?) I haven't seen this projector personally (I'm in the process of building a theater around a Sharp XV-Z9000U DLP projector), but it seems to get consistently positive comments here.

With respect to inputs and "future-proof" displays, there are a number of issues to consider.

First of all, the MPAA is pushing (hard) for a copy protection system on HD content. That system would have the ability to prohibit full-HD resolution on analog outputs, and unprotected digital outputs. This restriction would not apply to off-air HDTV, but may be on premium channels like Showtime and HBO someday, and is almost certain to appear on pre-recorded media.

This protection scheme may not take off, but if it does then a lot of us (myself included) will be unable to view full-HD resolution on protected content without changing (or perhaps upgrading) display devices. No FPTV I know of has a copy-protected digital input at this point. The Mitsubishi's "promise module" does include a 5C-protected FireWire input, which is one of two competing connections for this copy protection system (it appears to be the front-runner, also).

So, that's HD. For DVD and regular broadcast, you'll need a projector that can accept 480i and 480p signals. The projector will have to "scale" the image up to its native resolution, and some projectors have better scalers than others. Many people opt for a separate "scaler" (e.g. the Faroudja Native Rate, the TAW Rock, or others), or for a home theater computer (HTPC) with a DVD drive, video card, and scaling software. It's likely that an external scaler will produce a superior result for most projectors (although some of the very newest projectors do appear to be shipping with adequate scalers).

Hope this is helpful. Please write back for clarification if you like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.