AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that my best friend is in Tokyo for business, and he's asking if there's anything I want. I'm not familiar with what's available there that isn't available here, but I'd love for him to bring me some cool BD's... and a J.custom Ibanez guitar or three.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Universal's Cinderella Man and The Cave are available on BD in Japan. The also have Layer Cake (coming in March to the U.S.) and an SE of Silent Hill with a different transfer if I'm not mistaken.

Looks like josh beat me to it with the full lowdown.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

Movies from Japan are very expensive.

That's OK. My friend and I will work it out.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
JosephShaw,

there you go:

- Innocence: Ghost In The Shell 2 - features the first and only real 7.1 distinct chanels LPCM track on the market (some US Lionsgate releases have 6.1 mixes encoded as 7.1) and the highest average bitrate on the market for any HD release, 38mbps for video alone (MPEG2 encoded)

- Layer Cake - much better looking coverart (if you're in this kinda stuff)

- Into the Blue - idem

Mission Impossible 3 (or the boxset) - better coverart and what appears to be more features on disc 1 (it's also stated as BD-50 on Paramount Japan website, as opposed to BD-25 US version). I haven't got this one yet

Some upcoming titles:

- Cinderella Man - an HD-DVD exclusive in the US (distruibued by Univeral). It's getting a VC-1 video transfer in Jp, with all the extras of the US DVD and HD-DVD plus an uncompressed audio track (since it's Disney on BD-50 let's hope its also 48/24)

- Face/Off - distributed by Paramount in the US and announced for latter this year. The Japanese version will feature VC-1 video transfer with some extras (the US DVD is barebones) plus an uncompressed audio track (since it's Disney on BD-50 let's hope its also 48/24)

- 16 Blocks - distributed by Sony in Jp, so you can expect an uncompressed audio track (no word yet on disc size and video codec). It's distributed by Warner in the US in a BD-25 direct port from an HDDVD-15 combo.

- The Manchurian Candidate - better looking coverart, no ugly metallic template.

- Vertical Limit - better looking coverart, no flying heads.

- The Cave - not yet announced for US

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alex, thanks for that list. I've found a couple more that will be coming stateside.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You're welcome Joseph

There's one more!!! How could I forget this one???

Kung Fu Hustle - uncut in Japan. The US version is heavily edited, and totally unacceptable IMO. The Jp version also has a much better looking covert (not to break the rule
)

I thought of picking up Rent and The Producers but they didn't receive good PQ reviews, furthermore they don't mirror the SD release in terms of extras. So, not a purchase for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Like said before, they are expensive. Expect to pay around 5000 yen per movie, unless your friend happens to stumble on sale prices.

I live in Japan, not even any places to rent the damn things yet either.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 /forum/post/0

Has it been confirmed that Kung Fu Hustle is uncut in Japan? I'll add it to my listing if that was true. Maybe I need a page dedicated to superior versions in other regions.

I'd be really surprised if it is cut since the SD-DVD and theatrical versions weren't and that's what BD buyers will be expecting to see.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojima16 /forum/post/0

Like said before, they are expensive. Expect to pay around 5000 yen per movie, unless your friend happens to stumble on sale prices.

I live in Japan, not even any places to rent the damn things yet either.

I buy most of my Japan release stuff at the BIC Camera near my home. prices for U.S. films average 4450 ($37) yen most of the time.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjefferys /forum/post/0

The US theatrical cut had things like blood in fight scenes digitally removed.

Does the Japanese BD have English subs? If so, that's the one I'm going to get.

Finnish version plays fine in region A players. No idea whether the movie's been messed with or not.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.