AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of revewing posts in this and the sub-3K forum and seeking advice, here are the main points I have learnt:

- The difference between the mid-priced (Panasonic AE2000, Epson 1080UB, Sony VW60, MitsubishiHC6000) PJs are minor at best and it is mostly a matter of options and preferences.

- The difference between these and the higher-priced JVC RS1 is incremental at best

- The lower-priced Mitisubishi HC4900, at half the price of its competition, is nearly as good. The competetion's incremental or marginal value is near zero.

- The HC4900 is not in the same league as the others

- Both the Mitsubishi PJs display a clearly sharper image than the competition

- The difference between the Panasonic and the JVC is barely noticeable

- The Epson is almost as good as the JVC

- The Panasonic and Epson are virtually tied in overall PQ

- The Epson is clearly a step above the Panasonic, Sony and Mitsibishi

- The JVC is head and shoulders above the rest

- The latest LCD/LCOS PJs are as good or better than any high-end products/technologies, even the insanely priced high-ends.

- DLP PJs are obviously on a different plane altogether. The latest LCD/LCOS products are inferior to even the cheapest DLPs.

- Most people can barely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p projectors. A $900 720p is almost as good as a $3000 1080p, and not worth the upgrade.

Summarizing all the above, I can make at least one point with confidence:

- When you get a bunch of experts and people who are passionate about their hobbies, you can always find clear consensus.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Is the last sentence a typo? It should read you can never find a clear consensus.

I think the best rule is that one believes what one can afford.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nicely put

Keep in mind that other than a handful of people here, most have only ever seen fewer than half a dozen PJs in their entire lives and most have never seen two PJs playing side-by-side for a real comparison.

But one thing IS for certain: if you have more money than someone else, no matter what you buy, it will be better because you have more money and people with more money are NEVER wrong.

Jon

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Beware of forum hype! It seems like the forum in general rallies around a few products from time to time for reasons other than performance.

I would put more trust in professional reviews from people who are trained to properly evaluate projectors, and who have evaluated hundreds of projectors throughout their career.

~Jay

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/12944429

Is the last sentence a typo? It should read you can never find a clear consensus.

Not a typo -just my poor attempt at satire

The idea was to show the frustration/confusion that a typical person expweriences.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Here is a rule to add:

In A/V you will pay at least 100% more for a 10% increase in performance.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Given the subjective nature of this, it seems that there are essentially two camps- The purists who prefer the film-like image and the more contemporary (for lack of a better word) viewers who appreciate the pop and sharpness of newer PJ's. One versus another often seems to get down to this once a suitable level of contrast is established.

Overlooking the bluntness of the statement, "Believing what one can afford," holds true, certainly in my case. Given that I don't have a ton of exposure to higher-end machines, the incremental improvements that create logarithmic increases in price can not be justified ergo not afforded. However, if someone gave me a Marantz 11S2 for example, I'm sure color inaccuracies of lesser PJs would be much tougher to take going forward. "Once the peasants go to Paris, they can't go back to the farm." For this peasant, it is a maxim that is undoubtedly true as I've experienced in less costly hobbies.

Dino

·
Banned
3,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/12944429

Did you not get his whole post is sarcasm??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts