AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
323 Posts
I didn't see any other "official" thread on tonight's TNT-HD game, so just thought I'd pass along some comments. (via E*)

Visuals were really good tonight. For some reason I felt they were better than Game 1 even though the result was not as much to my liking (Lakers lose). They had a lot more close up shots which were gorgeous. The regular in game half court view from center court looked real good.

Audio was slightly better. Sound was much better without any hiccupping or problems.. But surrounds are pretty much dead except for the TNT in-game sound effects...

All in all a better effort tonight. Sound guys should take a cue from HDNet or even the NBA-TV games. My surrounds are getting hungry...

-T

· Registered
154 Posts
Yeah, took a little getting used to with the room shaking everytime the ball hit the rim, backboard or floor. Okay, a slight exaggeration, I don't even have the bass cranked like some people do but I could still tell the subwoofer was working.

I'd rather have a better emphasis on surround effects.

· Registered
3,086 Posts
Not having TNT HD, I watched the game on DirecTV's regular TNT channel. My observation is that the video has been exceptionally soft in SD, far worse than previous rounds of the playoffs. The sound has also been "funky," switching around in surround modes throughout the game. Sometimes the announcers would be set in the center channel (where they belong) and other times they'd get into "surround" mode, where their voices would be very diffuse.

I can only hope that TNT HD looks better than the SD feed. I'd have thought that higher-quality cameras would have yielded a better picture for SD fans, too.

· Registered
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oscar1
Yeah, took a little getting used to with the room shaking everytime the ball hit the rim, backboard or floor. Okay, a slight exaggeration, I don't even have the bass cranked like some people do but I could still tell the subwoofer was working.

I'd rather have a better emphasis on surround effects.
Yea, and I would have rather been there in person!

I think E* did a great job with TNT-HD. The Dolby needs some work but for the second "live" HD broadcast they did a good job and the PQ was great.

CustM

· Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Not having TNT HD, I watched the game on DirecTV's regular TNT channel. My observation is that the video has been exceptionally soft in SD, far worse than previous rounds of the playoffs.
Same here. I thought the PQ was pretty bad this game.

· Registered
4,045 Posts
I think the "boomy" problem is due to the fact that the microphone is actually mounted directly to the goal. The vibrations from the ball hitting the rim or backboard cause the mics diaphragm to vibrate, causing this low frequency.

BTW, before anyone on here tells me that I'm wrong and "how dare I for posting inaccurate information" I need to tell you that this is pure speculation.

· Registered
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by D-rock0030
Yeah I noticed the walls rattling every time the ball hit the rim too, I was like WTF??? Had to turn the subwoofer channel down a lot on my reciever.
I agree, they had the rim mics really juiced up...good thing Shaq didn't have any thundering dunks, probably would have broken my living room windows...well, good and bad I guess since I'm a Lakers fan and they lost.

I also agree the SD picture was pretty bad...I thought it was just me since I recorded the first part of the game with my SA8000HD and just assumed it used a crappy quality setting.

· Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AngryCPA
What is the TNT-HD channel on Directv that broadcasts the Lakers games??
Dude, have you read the other threads before posting ? DirecTV is not carrying TNT-HD as we speak.

· Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PDPnNJ
Dude, have you read the other threads before posting ? DirecTV is not carrying TNT-HD as we speak.
Sorry, I didnt have time to wade through all that BS, but thanks for answering my question. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.