Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one do you recommend? and why?

Does the fact that sunfire does not have THX Ultra 2 cert make a difference?

Please post your thoughts and thank you in advance.

and how about the anthem AVM20, can it compete with those mentioned above?

·
Registered
549 Posts
The TGIII is hard to beat price/performance/features. The Anthm Avm20 is also excellent. The Krell costs quite a bit more. If money is no object then checkout Lexicon, Theta and Classe. They all make great stuff.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris3G
the krell showcase would be the piece to compare to the TGIII. The HTS is double the price.
I agree. I looked at the Sunfire before I bought my Showcase. But, I didn't audition it at home. So, I can't make a fair comparison. I thought it sounded nice and seems like a very nice unit. I love the looks of it. The lack of THX Ultra did steer me away from it. But, from what I have learned, I'm not sure it's as big a deal as made out to be.

I picked up my Krell for $3600, not much more than SF. That was also a decision-maker. That and the fact that a couple of other people have compared the Showcase to the Standard and didn't hear any sonic differences. At least not enough to verify the additional $4K. So, more or less by reputation, I felt I was getting my money's worth.

I wondered for a while if the Sunfire would have been the better choice (the grass is always greener). As everyone always suggests, take them home and play with them. It's the only way to find out.

DAVE

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have owned the krell showcase and now the sunfire theater grand 3, the krell is a excellent prepro, but I found it lacking a little in dynamics on ht, a friend had the sunfire theater grande 2 and I borrowed it, it was very dynamic on ht, with a more diverse sound to the sides, I took a chance and went with the sunfire theater grande 3 and have been very satisfied with it musically and ht, it doesn't have thx ultra2, but I really think that thx is overrated,I hope this helps, good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Panzer,

Interesting comments on the TGIII. What amps fair well with the Sunfire? I'm hung up on the fact the the Cinema Grand's THD is .5%! I know, it's all about what you hear, but what the heck? At least they're honest :D

Thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
483 Posts
DAVE,

Have you used the EQ on the Showcase? How is it? Is it easy to use? I read a couples of reviews stating that it was somewhat difficult.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by panzer
I it doesn't have thx ultra2, but I really think that thx is overrated,I hope this helps, good luck
Most people would look for the THX label when making a purchase. It is a good thing to have. But not having it might not necessarily a bad thing.

What is THX?

First of all, THX is not a FORMAT (like Dolby Digital or DTS) but is a set of manufacturing STANDARDS. What does it mean? A Lexus SUV and a 2-seater Porsche are two different cars (Format). In building them, both companies might use the same set of manufacturing and quality procedures (Standards).

Originally, THX was, and still is, an effort to make all movie theaters having the same configuration and sound. You can go to an THX theater in New York and it sounds pretty much the same to an THX theater in California.

Expanded into home equipment, it is a set of standard revolving around the following (taken from THX website):

Faithful sound reproduction

Re-EqualizationTM removes the edgy "brightness" of cinema sound, accurately adapting movie sound for home playback. Timbre MatchingTM ensures a tonal match between front and surround speakers for smooth sound movement.

Surround-sound spaciousness

Adaptive DecorrelationTM manages Mono Surround signals for a true stereo feel.

Wide dynamic range with massive, distortion-free bass

Bass ManagementTM sends bass to subwoofers, delivering cinema-quality bass and allowing for smaller, easier-to-place speakers. Bass Peak Level ManagerTM protects subwoofers from overload, ensuring trouble-free delivery of bass-heavy soundtracks.

Optimum listening throughout the room

Loudspeaker Position Time SynchronizationTM lets you set up your system for optimal "sweet-spot" listening anywhere in large or space-constrained rooms.

Quick and easy set-up

Setup across all THX brands and components is guaranteed to be swift and trouble-free.

In order to have the THX verification, you need to spend money for the THX people (big bucks) not to mention you need to conform to the standard. Some company chooses to do that - marketing reason must be one of the motivation. Other companies simply chooses not to. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. To demonstrate that point I will use the QS9000 example.

QS9000 is a set of quality standards for manufacturing. Firestone Tire Company was QS9000 certified. Are they good? People did die because of their tires. Intel, on the other hand, chose not to spend money on QS9000 certification. They continue to crank out pretty good products serving good portion of humanity (well, your PC crashes several times a day but it works pretty well the remainder of the time and nobody, so far, die from it).

Sunfire does not have the THX badge, but they do pretty good on all of the items listed above, might even be better than some of the cheaper brands which do carry the certification. I encourage you to read up and make your own decision rather than go with a pretty logo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't see how adding processing to the signal can be equated with saying THX is a "Standard". If THX slapped a label on every DVD that had been processed with the home environmment in mind rather than a large movie theater, I could see calling it a standard. But the fact that it is altering the signal (just like DPL II, etc.) makes it seem much more like a "format" than a "standard".

Greg

·
Registered
176 Posts
From THX homepage:

"THX Ltd. is the founder of quality assurance programs for superior cinema presentation. It was established in 1983 by George Lucas to ensure that the entertainment consumer experienced films as the director intended. Today, THX Certification assures the finest picture and sound quality for cinemas, mixing studios, home theatres, DVDs, multimedia products, and luxury automotive vehicles"

They call themselves "quality assurance programs". Hard to mis-interprete that.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have the TGIII, the lack of THX meant nothing to me. It is a certification. All it would do (in this case) is increase the cost as far as I am concerned. I think the unit has excellent features, very good user interface and its audio and video are excellent. I use Bryston amps, Revel Speakers and I have Sony GWII. I am very pleased with the unit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vdmai
DAVE,

Have you used the EQ on the Showcase? How is it? Is it easy to use? I read a couples of reviews stating that it was somewhat difficult.
I have played with it some. I prefer the settings to be flat anyway, especially 2-ch music. It could be useful for EQ'ing my room out, but it is a little difficult to get set properly. I just need to play with it more. I'm building my actual theater room so it wouldn't do me much good right now anyway as everything will change. Hopefully for the better. :)

DAVE

·
Registered
881 Posts
THX means different things with different components. If you are talking about cables or speakers or amps or even DVD's, then THX is a "certification". If you are talking receivers or processors, then THX is both a "certification" and a "format".

I own the Sunfire TGIII, so my feelings on the THX format should be quite clear.....it's not important...to ME! The bottom line though, is every consumer needs to listen for themselves and THEN make a judgement on it's importance. Find a high end store near you that has the TGIII as well as a THX Ultra certified processor, and listen side by side YOURSELF. Only YOUR ears can tell you if THX is important or not.

One thing to avoid in this forum and elsewhere....are those self-anoited audio-visual "experts". Just because some guy says he's an "expert" or a "professional" doesn't mean he really is. Opinions are nice.....we all have them.....but only YOU can determine what YOU think is best.

R8der

·
Registered
842 Posts
When I used the SF CGIII with my RM40s I found it "very" noisy. Not in the area of grain or hash, but the noise level obscured the inner detail and resolution I now have with my CineNova. I have never seen the S/N ratio on this amp. With my speakers the higher the better (my current amp is 112)

It had plenty of power and dynamics and certainly a nice look.

Bob Carver is a genius (although a little strange) and I think the high distortion is the result of his trying to make the CGIII sound like tubes but with a kick.

As far as THX certs, at this level I don't think it is a concern.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.