AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need expert opinion here.

I was looking at the SVS PB12-NSD or HSA VTF3-MK3 for my dedicated theater room with the size of 21x11x9. I am running KEF KHT 3005 (sans the sub that came with it). I listened to the HSU sub and it was pretty good. However, I had the chance to listen to my buddy who owns the sunfire true EQ sub. I like the size and the power of this little sucker.

I was wondering why the HSU sub with its size couldn't quite match up to the sunfire. Is this to be expected? I haven't had a chance to listen to the SVS yet but I have read the reviews around here.

Now I might upgrade the satellite but that's for another forum and another thread =)

So I need to choose a sub. The above mentioned sub are in my price range and the Sunfire True Eq sub could be in my price range if I purchase used or if I forego the potential speaker upgrade (thinking about moving up to the SVS or HSU bookshelf speakers)

My application: 99% movies

I am willing to go up to $1k but would prefer to stay around $700 or below (especially if I have to upgrade my whole setup)

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
217 Posts

When you make comparisons like that you gotta say if you heard them in the same room setup right. It is a pointless comparison because everyone has a different room. If you could get them all in your place then you could compare, although this is probably not possible for most people.
Just don't make comparisons between subs if you have heard them in different locations.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as you mentioned it is impossible to have all 3 subs in the same room. I realize the differences could be in the room configuration but the difference was pretty noticeable.

Ironmike - not keeping up meaning the sunfire kicked the $h1t out of the HSU sub. I mean the room was shaking quite considerably with the sunfire but the HSU sub was so so. Don't get me wrong the HSU sub sounded pretty good but after hearing the sunfire I could definitely say that the sunfire came out ahead.

I couldn't tell if the HSU sub was properly calibrated.

So let me rephrase my question - All things being equal, in the room size that I have, which sub would be best for strictly movies. The SVS, HSU or sunfire true ?

thanks!

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
If the subs were not in the same room and location......one shaking one room and the other not shaking as much in a different room, means nothing.

The SVS or Hsu will be way more than enough for the size of your theater.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/15493195

if the subs were not in the same room and location......one shaking one room and the other not shaking as much in a different room, means nothing.

The svs or hsu will be way more than enough for the size of your theater.

+1

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Cadobhuk,

Maybe he can have more output from other subs, like a Castle...

But is it really a better sub because of that?

·
Registered
763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15494761

For $1k you can do better though, than either of those.

I would also agree, but at an extra added cost. For $700, the 3.3 or mfw would probably be the best bang in that price range.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome /forum/post/15494822

Maybe he can have more output from other subs, like a Castle...

But is it really a better sub because of that?

What else constitutes a better sub to you? Or are you trying to say the bigger subs will be inferior in sound quality? I have seen no evidence to support that kind of claims that few people here like to make lately.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15495150

What else constitutes a better sub to you? Or are you trying to say the bigger subs will be inferior in sound quality? I have seen no evidence to support that kind of claims that few people here like to make lately.

For me its this:

Finish, extension, SQ, palpable bass not graph bass, company customer service & reputation, size, availability.

I am not saying that the bigger ones will be inferior. Just asking why you say the OP can do a lot better than that...

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK so no vote for the Sunfire True EQ?? Is it outclassed by today's bigger and better designed subs?

From what I gathered based on the comments above, I can't go wrong with the HSU VTF3-MK3. I am going to see if I can go to the HSU office. Its a trek for me but for the money I will be spending, its well worth it.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
His room is pretty small - missed that. For his room size and since he wants to stay under 700, vtf-3 is actually pretty close to perfect, although if he likes it loud a7s for about $100 extra would provide more bass. pb12 is not as good sq wise and I dunno how good sunfire is but I'm sure it costs too much for what it offers.

mfw-15, knight and even valor would be great choices as well, but mfw is full of issues and epik sells only conquest right now.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15496531

His room is pretty small - missed that. For his room size and since he wants to stay under 700, vtf-3 is actually pretty close to perfect, although if he likes it loud a7s for about $100 extra would provide more bass. pb12 is not as good sq wise and I dunno how good sunfire is but I'm sure it costs too much for what it offers.

Ok. But...

My A7s-450 does not feel much louder as my 3.3... It only has a lot more midbass. I have the VTF-2,3.3,A7s450, and ULS-15.

What the A7s-450 has, when it is pushed hard(when the driver really moves constantly), is a lot of noise coming from the driver's air holes ED did to the design...

Besides from that the sub A7s is stellar for midbass duties.Second to none.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Do you have an EQ with it? Otherwise it'd be pretty obvious why it's all midbass.

I didnt know you had a7s, you should write a long post comparing all those subs (or link me if you already have).

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 /forum/post/15495920

OK so no vote for the Sunfire True EQ?? Is it outclassed by today's bigger and better designed subs?

From what I gathered based on the comments above, I can't go wrong with the HSU VTF3-MK3. I am going to see if I can go to the HSU office. Its a trek for me but for the money I will be spending, its well worth it.

It is not so much a question of the Sunfire True EQ being "outclassed" as it is, do you need to spend that much money and do you really need a very very small sub the size of the True EQ?

You pay a lot of money for the performance of the 11 inch cube Sunfire. At the time the Sunfire sub was introduced perhaps 12 years ago, they were revolutionary mainly due to the tiny 2,700 watt amp, but also due to the high excursion driver and passive radiator.

Given its small size the Sunfire can go pretty deep.

There is a market for small subs, but Sunfire is much higher priced compared to some of todays good small subs like the SVS SB-12 Plus at $700.

So, if you can fit a signficantly larger box or cylinder in your room, you will get at least as much performance.

Unless you can get the Sunfire for near cost, there are any number of subs that can equal and exceed the Sunfire for less money.

You might be a good candidate for the newly introduced SVS PB-12 Plus:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-newpb12plus.cfm

At $1139 plus $99 shipping, this will outperform the PB-12 NSD, the Sunfire, and the HSU 3.3 (as it should for the price and size).

If you like the 3.3 at HSU's facility, you should like it at your home. It may be all you need.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome /forum/post/15496671

HHEHHEHH.I already have...I will search it for you.

I have Audyssey MultiEQ XT.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...53081&page=179

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...53081&page=179

Thats duplicates of the same link and you're just describing the issue you had with the driver. Where's the link to the comparison? And did that Audessey EQ fail to remove the a7s sealed box roloff? Theoretically with EQ successfully applied the low bass should be just as loud as midbass, no?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts