AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my 8 year True Sub's active woofer has started to blat on low tones. It has developed a big wart on the driver where I believe years of misting of the plant sitting next to it has taken it's toll. In reading other accounts it looks like Sunfire will want $600 for the replacement woofer since it's custom. Has anyone tried fitting in an off the shelf 10" driver in a True Sub? I'm willing to try that first before running off and getting an SVS or Hsu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpout /forum/post/15430976


Well, my 8 year True Sub's active woofer has started to blat on low tones. It has developed a big wart on the driver where I believe years of misting of the plant sitting next to it has taken it's toll. In reading other accounts it looks like Sunfire will want $600 for the replacement woofer since it's custom. Has anyone tried fitting in an off the shelf 10" driver in a True Sub? I'm willing to try that first before running off and getting an SVS or Hsu.


First, you should confirm the price with Sunfire. Sunfire is charging a flat $450 fee, however, I never heard that the True Sub MK II cost more to repair. It sounds a little strange.


Second. The Sunfires had very high excursion drivers with very large surrounds. I would think that finding a driver with the excursion needed in a small diameter would be difficult.


I see that you would go for a 10 inch driver and forget about finding an 8 inch driver with a huge surround.


Other members can give better advice about dropping a 10 inch driver in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/15431396


First, you should confirm the price with Sunfire. Sunfire is charging a flat $450 fee, however, I never heard that the True Sub MK II cost more to repair. It sounds a little strange.


Second. The Sunfires had very high excursion drivers with very large surrounds. I would think that finding a driver with the excursion needed in a small diameter would be difficult.


I see that you would go for a 10 inch driver and forget about finding an 8 inch driver with a huge surround.


Other members can give better advice about dropping a 10 inch driver in.

I'll double check with Sunfire. The thread where I heard it would cost $600 is on the AV-Rev-Forum (it's a blocked site). I'm aware they say $450 for an out of warranty sub, so that price may include the cost of shipping up & back.


The opening is 9.25" for a 10.25" driver, so a 10" should fit perfectly, but the mounting holes would likely have to be redrilled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
I think I saw the replacement driver at Parts Express for the Sunfire. Look under the 10" subwoofer section.


HiVi SP10?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Check your passive radiator. Common issue with the Sunfires. Weight comes loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpout /forum/post/15595212


Received an SP10 replacement woofer, same "thud" happens periodically so it's not the driver, but the electronics. Wah.
Not sure what I'll do with it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal1as /forum/post/15618279


Check your passive radiator. Common issue with the Sunfires. Weight comes loose.

I wish that was it. It happens to the driver itself, even outside of the cabinet. I've tried two different woofers attached to the circuit and they have both done it. It's like a momentary "blat" of the driver, probably at a particular frequency. May be the servo circuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Hi eelpout


I have a Sunfire MK II True subwoofer (12 years old) that I'm looking to replace the driver with the same part from Parts Express. I now it been a while since you orginaly posted this, but I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions.


How hard is this part to swap out?


Does the Hi Vi sub fit without any modifacations?


Do I have to remove the amp plate to install?


Anything tricky I should look out for?


Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated


Rafael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been a while since I did this, so I may be a bit fuzzy on details.



I ordered the part and it was quite easy to drop in place as I remember. But after I did, it was clear that my problem wasn't the driver at all, it was the amp and supporting circuitry so I ended up sending the woofer back and bought a tSc.


I think if I had kept it I would have had to drill some mounting holes in the cabinet because the existing ones didn't quite line up. Also, there would have been some slight soldering for new wire clips. A pretty easy replacement.


I still have the carcass of the Sunfire laying around just in case my replacement tSc sub ever dies (may that company RIP). If it does I'll probably send my Sunfire back and get it redone. I think it's around $600 out of warranty for a refit and arguably, I probably couldn't buy something new for that price that would perform as well. I did say arguably.



ps. i did notice on the Sunfire website that the rate for repair is no longer listed, but it was under $600 early 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Taveras /forum/post/18771155


Hi eelpout


I have a Sunfire MK II True subwoofer (12 years old) that I'm looking to replace the driver with the same part from Parts Express. I now it been a while since you orginaly posted this, but I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions.


How hard is this part to swap out?


Does the Hi Vi sub fit without any modifacations?


Do I have to remove the amp plate to install?


Anything tricky I should look out for?


Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated


Rafael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
eelpout


Thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate it.


I called Sunfire last week and because my sub was over 7 years old the had me call the their Washington State service dept. Their service dept is now in Kentucky. I spoke to a women that said they no longer had drivers for the sub. I don’t know if that’s the case in Kentucky.


I’m going to call again tomorrow just to confirm what she told me. If true I think I will give the Hi Vi sub a shot.



I would love to replace my old Sunfire with a new one, but that’s really not a option right now. Thank You again.


Rafael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hello AVS community,


I have in my possetion six HiVI SP10 drives that are brand new and un opened.



I am selling them at $180AU each if any one wants them. They arrived to me shipped from the HiVi factory each in sealed in separate timber boxes inside card board carton for protection.


I am located in Melbourne Australia so if any one is interested in purchasing these beasty 13Kg drives please post me your zipp code so I can get a quote for the shipping cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalitz /forum/post/20626224


Okay, it's me again--ex-Sunfire Rep. I became tired of the total lack of service at today's Sunfire so I did a ton of research and development. I can now fix your Sunfire woofer amps cheaper and better than anyone. Since I posted the note above, however, I've been inundated with people trying to find a replacement driver. The consensus is that the Parts Express replacement is immediately, obviously, inferior. I've never heard one so, as the man said, you pays your money and you takes your chances.


The driver is part of the amplifier's circuit. All parameters must be identical to original or you'll never get the power or the quality of sound you had when new. I've found a guy in my area who thinks he can re-cone these. I won't get involved unless I know he's reliable and does the exact work I'd demand. I hope to know something in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, if your amp is dead or humming, I can fix it for a flat rate. The freight is tiny because you'd only need to send the amp module; it's like a couple of pounds tops!


If I knew how, I'd include before and after shots. Email me if you want to see them. I'll send them as attachments. It's $250 plus freight for a total rebuild and you get a 90-day warranty. I do frequency sweeps, burn in the amp for days (on a real True Sub) and do it again before I ship it back. No one else will do that for you. By the way, this is also an upgrade. The single driver models pick up a few dB's below 30HZ and get closer to the dual driver models in deep bass extension. I don't bother to measure the improvement of the dual driver models since they needed no more output down there anyway. They will shake my workshop when upgraded--that's for certain. You guys ought to see these photos!


I'm no amateur having published over 30 technical articles read in 22 countries--primarily for pro sound--Google "The Gigologist". I currently rep Arcam, Totem, Energy, Yamaha, Sennheiser, etc. I've also repped Denon, Sonus Faber, AR, Counterpoint and dozens of others over a 40-year career. I'm also the founder of Onkyo USA Corp.

Frank Malitz

847-668-4519

Frank - I have a Carver Dominator D-8 that just stopped working. The driver has no visible damage, actually it looks flawless. The line level outputs work, passing signal to another sub. when I pulled the driver its terminals show 0 ohms - open circuit. I am sure you could repair the amp circuit if it had failed, but doesn't the open circuit point to a fried voice coil? I would like to repair the D-8 but can't locate a new driver, and don't want ship you the circuits and spend $250 unless I know the driver is good. Am I missing something? What else can I do to test the driver (and circuits)?


Regards,

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I bought a Parts Express driver and it lasted one week past warranty. It was not pushed very hard as I have a second mint TrueSubwoofer that carries most of the load and used the Parts Express unit to fill some sonic holes in the back of my media room. I would advise waiting until they go on sale as regular price is $260.00 but I have seen them on sale for around $179.00. When I called Parts Express they offered to sell me a new one at full price even though I was just a week out of warranty. With a sophisticated piece of equipment like these subs I think it best to stay all original. I am going to find someone to repair the original Sunfire driver. Anyone out there repairing Sunfire MK II models ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Hate to resurrect this old thread but I came across a good amp but bad driver. The Ultimax 10" from Dayton is too big and the HiVi isn't available anymore? Anyone find a replacement? I may opt to build a custom enclosure with the Dayton 10" and the bob carver plate amp... Any thoughts?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top