AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the Sunfire subwoofer as part of my system for about ten years and has done a great job. Something seems to be wrong now though and hopefully one of you can guide me. I don't get the popping sound when turning the system on but I do get an annoying 'pop'/'thud' on certain sound tracks whether it be from television or CD. Some signals produce great sounding music whereas other signals produce this annoying sound, even at low volume. In fact it goes away when I crank up the volume, it's like the lower volume isn't making the sub work hard enough. It's tough to explain but it's not a natural bass sound, it's not smooth but a 'thud'. What's most annoying is when watching regular tv and having to put up with this sound, it's all I concentrate on.

Any ideas on what could be causing it and solution other than upgrading for now would be very much appreciated.

· Premium Member
8,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawayne /forum/post/15420405

I've had the Sunfire subwoofer as part of my system for about ten years and has done a great job. Something seems to be wrong now though and hopefully one of you can guide me. I don't get the popping sound when turning the system on but I do get an annoying 'pop'/'thud' on certain sound tracks whether it be from television or CD. Some signals produce great sounding music whereas other signals produce this annoying sound, even at low volume. In fact it goes away when I crank up the volume, it's like the lower volume isn't making the sub work hard enough. It's tough to explain but it's not a natural bass sound, it's not smooth but a 'thud'. What's most annoying is when watching regular tv and having to put up with this sound, it's all I concentrate on.

Any ideas on what could be causing it and solution other than upgrading for now would be very much appreciated.

Are you saying you get this noise at the exact same point in a movie or at the exact same poin in music?

It seems like you are experiencing a partial amp failure. I think Sunfire charges $450 flat rate to fix their subs.

Sorry I can't think of any work-around for your problem. Maybe someone else can come up with something that will work for you.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. It's random, I spent a couple of hours last night playing with crossover settings, phase control, large/small speaker settings etc. and it's improved. I think I will see if anyone else has any suggestions. I'm not going to pay to get the sub checked/repaired, instead put the money toward an eventual new sub.

· Registered
1,709 Posts
Did you change anything electrically? I'm not just talking in your audio system, a new refrig, stove, etc? I have seen this problem pop up (ouch, no pun intended) with older houses or poorly wired houses and high current draw appliances, although I do suspect that pending amp failure is more likely.

· Registered
45 Posts
Your woofer coil may be rubbing against the pole piece. This is very evident during low excursions.... I have had a similar issue with their subs.. back in 1998. The woofer's glue gives when the coil reaches high temps...

· Premium Member
8,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Amps /forum/post/15424547

Your woofer coil may be rubbing against the pole piece. This is very evident during low excursions.... I have had a similar issue with their subs.. back in 1998. The woofer's glue gives when the coil reaches high temps...

The woofer coil rubbing against the pole piece sounds logical since the sound the OP is hearing seems to be masked at higher listening levels.

I know that once you hear this kind of thing it is always in the back of your mind, however, if you can hang in with the Sunfire for at least another month or two, you will have additional choices. Specifically, Epik. They have been waiting for parts for a while now.

At some point that wait should be over and you will have lots of choices if you are going to replace the Sunfire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.