1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just got mine... loved upgrading the software with the serial port!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hjones
Is the 5 second delay for digital lock, as reported in Sound and Vision, real?
Newest software fixed the problem. not a click from anything now. I'm glad this is a problem the user can fix by a simple firmware upgrade -- instead of sending unit back (denon anyone?)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bionicjay
I just got mine... loved upgrading the software with the serial port!
Bionicjay, when you decided on this unit, did you consider the about-to-be-released Sony STR-DA9000ES, and if so, what made you choose the Sunfire (the Sony's published specs are arguably a bit better, and it has some additional features like DVI inputs and output)?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have always loved the power amps from carver/sunfire . The sunfire is small and replaced 3 carver tfm 25's, a Yammy rx-v1200, and a component video switcher. -- making alot of room in my rack for other things.

The reason I didnt go with the sony is that i have had alot of problems with other sony high end gear (xbr series tv, sacd player, vaio laptop -- all crap!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Grampa
Bionicjay, when you decided on this unit, did you consider the about-to-be-released Sony STR-DA9000ES, and if so, what made you choose the Sunfire (the Sony's published specs are arguably a bit better, and it has some additional features like DVI inputs and output)?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bionicjay
I have always loved the power amps from carver/sunfire
I hear you there. My 20 year old Carver Receiver still sounds great. I'm looking to supplement it, not replace it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I, too, another happy Carver camper. Amazing stuff back in the "old days". Bob did it right.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My Carver is 150 watts per channel. Over the years I kept adding speakers around the house. Now the receiver drives six pairs of speakers through impedance matching volume controls, and still does not get hot. Carver used a technology similar to that of the Sunfire, in which the voltage level adjusts to track the power output. Less waste heat is generated, and the chassis can be smaller. I'm sure that staying cool has helped it to last these twenty years.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I believe my Phase Linear 200-watts/channel was a Bob Carver creation. I bought it back in '74 (i think!) along with a Soundcraftsman pre which I've been using lo these many years (until the preamp had a heart attack!).

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I got my Carver tuner (T-2, I think) about 1978. It's still going strong--I've never found anything better at rejecting multipath, a real problem here in Manhattan.

No remote control, but fortunately we listen to one station 99% of the time.

I didn't like my Soundcraftsman pre, however. There wasn't enough isolation of the various inputs: I could always faintly hear the tuner when the pre was switched to another input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.