AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post the message I just sent Andrew Johnson of Comcast here in the SF Bay Area.

=======Message sent to Comcast=================

Dear Mr. Johnson,

I'm writing you again to ask about the availability of HDTV via Comcast in Sunnyvale. You indicated in your response to me on February 19th that it would be available in 6 months, which would have been August 19th. Here's my tale of trying to sign up for it:

In the past two weeks I've called Comcast customer service five times. The first time I was told it was not available in Sunnyvale, with no expected date. The second time (two days later) I called, I was told "it should be available soon; try us back on Friday." When I called (the third time) on that Friday, I was told "it's not available".

I then called back last week and asked again. After consulting with her supervisor, I was told that it *is* available, but had not yet been added to her "servicing" screen. They were going to "fill out a form" to add it to the servicing screen, and told me if I called back in three days I should be able to order it.

I then went into my local Sunnyvale Comcast office on Thursday last week, and asked about HDTV. The person there said "nope; it's not available in Sunnyvale". She told me, with some authority, that she works at the "head end" and that the "equipment" necessary for HDTV "isn't even there yet". When asked, she told me they were "shooting for October 10th" to have it available. She even showed me the yellow sticky note on her monitor that said "No HDTV in Sunnyvale".

Today, I called customer service again, and was told that HDTV *is* available, and that I could order it. The CSR was ready to sign me up.

So....what's the truth? If I ordered it today, would it be delivered? I have grave doubts about that.

And, as an add on question, could you please let me know when we can expect the following channels to be available in Sunnyvale? I understand that some of these are already being carried somewhere in the Comcast system:

--CBS

--ESPN HD

--Discovery HD

--HDNet

--HDNet Movies

--INHD

--INHD2

Also, could you please tell me your expected rollout of the Motorola DCT6208 HDTV STB, which is the replacement for the DCT5100 that you currently offer, but with the addition of a PVR?

Thank you very much,

Bob Crum

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Bob, please keep us posted on any results you hear back from Comcast. I live in Sunnyvale and pretty much had the same experience as yours when trying to order HDTV. I first called and was told it was not offered. Then I called later in the day to ask again (because the first guy didn't sound like he knew what was going on) and was told that it was available, but he couldn't sign me up because his service screen didn't have the option yet. So I got transferred over to someone higher up... he told me that they were having a problem with their system and that I should call back in 2 hours and it should be fixed. So I call back two hours later, and the sales person tells me it's available but he can't do it because his computer isn't allowing it. So I get transferred again to someone higher up who first says she'll look into it for me and that she'd call me back... then I ask her a few more questions, she does something on her computer and then tells me straight up that it isn't available and she has no ETA on it, then proceeds to explain how the Sunnyvale cable infrastructure is really old and will take some time before it is upgraded to handle HDTV. I was tempted to call back in again today just to see if I get a different response, but I guess I'll see what you can dig up first. Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.