AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's PAL, but that may not be true, either way it's amazing this is being released. This will be the first silent feature on blu, no? It claims to feature restored high deifinition versions of bothe the movietone version and the recently discovered Czech print, which looked quite spiffy in comparison to previous versions on DVD. Add tot hat the already existing features which will be included, the 68-page "booklet"(more like a book!) and rare outtakes, original trailer, commentary, etc. An incredibly exciting release, for sure.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
A great movie. 20th Century Fox officially released it on DVD in the US only as a premium for submitting coupons from other Fox DVDs, which shows the esteem American studios have always had for their silent product.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Fox is actually quite proud of Sunrise. It was produced by THE William Fox (yes, there was a real fox).

It is my favorite silent film, the one that really seems to overcome the limitations and excesses of the silent genre and speak to modern audiences directly.

I also like The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur (1924), Intolerance, and some of the Griffith films. Would like to see these on Blu-ray.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Amazing, bizarre, unexpected, wonderful news!

Like the others who have commented this is (if not my *very* favorite silent film) certainly right up there contending for the position. And, of the silent films I love, this is by far the visually most deserving of hi-def treatment. I've seen it on the big screen a half dozen times, and it's just gorgeous.

Of the other favorites that leap to mind -- The Crowd, The General, City Lights, The Big Parade, and Lubitsch's So This is Paris -- City Lights would be my second choice. I don't the think the Lubitsch film has ever been on DVD or even VHS. It's a lot like the Marriage Circle (which is on DVD) but to my mind even funnier.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Average /forum/post/17113197

MoC has said they will never release a locked BD.

Not exactly. They will do region free releases if possible. "Sunrise" will be region free but they have to lock "For All Mankind" to region B due to legal issues.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah, I just saw that bit of news a couple of hours ago -- which is quite disappointing as it runs directly counter to earlier statements . The existence of a Region A version of that particular title makes this particular pill easier to swallow (sorry, region C?) but it doesn't bode well for the future.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know, when I first saw DVD images of the czech print, I thought, "This print must have been fairly close to the negative". Now, seeing these shots (especially the one of her in the trolley) I am positive it was. I now have a good feeling about the restoration they claim they performed on this title. The version used prior to the czech print was dirty, flickery, and hazy. What a revelation it will be! I think this film may be more appreciable visuals wise now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts