AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if anyone has compared super bit quality to mastered down in high definiton. I have notice some dvd's come in both mixes

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
actually they are not seperate things but subsets of eachother.. most if not all superbits are mastered down from Hi def transfers but not all high def transfers to dvd are superbit (some do the same thing as superbit just are not allowed to use the logo) It is a combination of both that matter, not one or the other.. you can have a dvd mastered from a High def source and have it look like crap. On the same note you can also have a superbit from a bad source that doesnt look very good either. It is when you have a good source AND transfer it correctly that you get a good DVD. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes that does help,I would like to know why super bits have the borders on top and bottom making it i believe a 2:35 aspect ratio and the hi def dvd are full screen. are there super bits that will fill a 16:9 tv. also how can i identify a good sorce dvd rather than a bad transfer with out viewing it. thanks for your help and time

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
 this is a resource i use a lot.

just search for the movie you want, then look for results that show a dvd review.

check out a few to get a general idea of the quality of the discs transfer (i never rely on just one source to tell me how good/bad something looks/sounds because so many reviewers have a range of equipment).

there are many, many discs out there that will impress you more than the average superbit. there are a lot of things that come in to play with how a movie ultimately looks at home on your display, including the way the film was shot to begin with.

transfers that are listed as being 1.77-1.85 will generally fill a 16:9 tv screen.

2.35 films will still show a sliver of bars on a 16:9, although much less than if you were viewing on a 4:3 set.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankyou for the link very helpful,so i gather that ther are 1:85 aspect ratio super bit dvd's out there,i just have to find them.thanks again

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It sure does sound like AR and source quality are being tied together in the above statements... Remember you can see ANY aspect ratio sent over the HD standard...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.