AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Actually the cameras used are all 4k and 8k. Fox then down-converts to 1K to go thru their video switches and processors. This is done for the feeds for about 100 video cameras. There is a good Youtube video showing the complexity of all this. Just search Youtube for a recent video by Digital Trends where they got a tour inside the Fox production trailers.
No, that's not true at all.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
watched on FiOS 4K HLG...once the game started the 4K picture quality was really impressive...on screen text was nice and crisp...the bright red of the Chiefs uniforms/helmets really popped in 4K HLG moreso then the white uniforms of the 49ers...the few aerial skyline shots also looked pretty amazing...one in particular at the beginning of the game towards sunset with the orange sky was pretty stunning...I was thinking about cutting the cord and switching to YouTube TV a few months back but decided to try the new FiOS 4K box, I'm glad I did...watching live sports in 4K (even though it's somewhat limited) is worth keeping cable for

I'm not sure why the FOX Sports app on ATV didn't have HDR support when it did for the last few Thursday Night Football games

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
watched on FiOS 4K HLG...once the game started the 4K picture quality was really impressive...on screen text was nice and crisp...the bright red of the Chiefs uniforms/helmets really popped in 4K HLG moreso then the white uniforms of the 49ers...the few aerial skyline shots also looked pretty amazing...one in particular at the beginning of the game towards sunset with the orange sky was pretty stunning...

I'm not sure why the FOX Sports app on ATV didn't have HDR support when it did for the last few Thursday Night Football games
Glad your fios 4k feed was working

There were reports on fios support twitter and on dslreports.com that it was not working .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
How do you get your broadcast TV in higher quality than 4K? Inquiring minds want to know. Also curious how you know your setup is better unless you know the other person's gear. You could be confident in your gear but there is always someone with better unless you are Rob Hahn.
Unless you have a 12 foot diameter satellite dish in your backyard, you do not have a setup as good as mine. I guarantee it.

I agree. And since we probably won't be seeing 4K HDR OTA broadcasting anytime soon, streaming will be the way to go for years to come. It can only get better! Wow, so many people having issues with the FS. Glad I have the Fire Cube 2. It was flawless!
I wouldn't be so sure. There's some ATSC 3.0 channels launching this year.

I don't think the affiliates are going to be happy with passively sitting by and watching themselves continue to get bypassed with streaming apps. Every time you watch something through the Fox app because it's in 4K that's one less eyeball watching a Fox affiliate.

They have to do something, and the number of people who streamed the Super Bowl from Fox instead of watching it on their local affiliate may prove to be a turning point for them.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Glad your fios 4k feed was working

There were reports on fios support twitter and on dslreports.com that it was not working
it worked fine from Pre-game all through the end of the game...no issues at all...some early parts of the Pre-game did have some occasional audio stutter but that resolved itself quickly

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Masked Singer picture is quite soft indicating a 1080p upscale:

It does look really vivid with the HDR grading though.

It's a shame this is the only episode we'll be getting in HDR.

·
Registered
61 Posts
After the DRAMA! With Roku, I had a fire cube and a roku ultra. The fire cube would crash every 20-30 min during pregame, so I switched over to the Roku, and it was smooth as anything. The only thing I missed was Mahomes getting MVP. I’m pretty pleased with the Roku and picture quality and the way it handled the stream. The fire cube may be going back.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Unless you have a 12 foot diameter satellite dish in your backyard, you do not have a setup as good as mine. I guarantee it.
So you are bragging about your 12ft satellite dish? That is the gear to which you were referring? I agree I don't have a 12 ft satellite in my backyard. I don't have a rotary phone in my house either. I don't have a commodore 64 either. Or a fax machine. I am sure you have amazing tech.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
The Masked Singer picture is quite soft indicating a 1080p upscale:

It does look really vivid with the HDR grading though.

It's a shame this is the only episode we'll be getting in HDR.
I watched a few minutes of Masked Singer in 4K just to see the 4K quality and that's all I could bear...that show has a lot of bright colors so the HLG definitely was an improvement but you're right in that it also looks a bit soft indicating a 1080p upscale

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I watched a few minutes of Masked Singer in 4K just to see the 4K quality and that's all I could bear...that show has a lot of bright colors so the HLG definitely was an improvement but you're right in that it also looks a bit soft indicating a 1080p upscale
How are u watching the masked singer in 4k, what provider?

DirecTV is NOT broadcast that event . The 4k feed via D* ended at 1040 EST

Reactions: longhorn23

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Same here Masked looks terrible. Switched over to OTA, much better, 720p beats upscale 4K Who knew.
What provider please

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
So you are bragging about your 12ft satellite dish? That is the gear to which you were referring? I agree I don't have a 12 ft satellite in my backyard. I don't have a rotary phone in my house either. I don't have a commodore 64 either. Or a fax machine. I am sure you have amazing tech.

Just to add fuel to the fire, 12' dish is how you get the digital master feeds from satellite.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Just to add fuel to the fire, 12' dish is how you get the digital master feeds from satellite.
I am sure there is a rush to taking the feed directly from a satellite orbiting the earth and bringing it into your home.

I am sure it looks way better than many satellite, cable and streaming services. I have not seen it but the science of digital compression supports that backhaul feeds would look more pristine than most signals being sent through the usual channels.

Taking today, like the poster did, to crap all over people enjoying the first 4K Super Bowl was super unnecessary. I honestly would rather spend $2K on AV gear than a monstrous satellite dish which I would never be permitted to put up in my suburban oasis anyway. But if you live on 2 acres in God's country I can see the appeal, especially when your internet speed might be very limited.

·
Premium Member
3,811 Posts
Actually the cameras used are all 4k and 8k. Fox then down-converts to 1K to go thru their video switches and processors. This is done for the feeds for about 100 video cameras. There is a good Youtube video showing the complexity of all this. Just search Youtube for a recent video by Digital Trends where they got a tour inside the Fox production trailers.
No, that's not true at all.
https://www.newscaststudio.com/2020/02/01/foxs-super-bowl-liv-coverage-by-the-numbers/

70 manned or robotic cameras; 30+ lock-off and POV cameras

20+ end zone and end line pylon cameras

Wireless “Line-to-Gain” camera, following every first down from ground level

24+ Super Motion cameras (high speed), ranging from 180-1,800 frames per second

Three (3) 8K cameras
Two (2) focused on team benches and sidelines, with ability to be magnified up to 12x and replayed
One (1) which will, for the first time, shoot the entire Super Bowl in 8K

Eight (8) high-speed 4K cameras at the end zone, down the line and high-end zone positions which can be magnified up to 6x in any area of interest in the frame

Two (2) SkyCams
High and low – the high SkyCam is capable of elevating above the stadium roof

Seven (7) wireless cameras, including:
Multiple Steadicams
Movi Gimbal Steadicam

Multiple Digital Cinema Cameras

·
Registered
440 Posts
It was too bad that after halftime Fox and/or Amazon basically nerfed the 4k for me on the 4k Fire TV stick. The second half was nothing but complete drops, 360p res, and stuttering. Switched to my TV's internal app and finished the game watching in 1080p.

Thanks a lot Fox and/or Amazon.

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure. There's some ATSC 3.0 channels launching this year.

I don't think the affiliates are going to be happy with passively sitting by and watching themselves continue to get bypassed with streaming apps. Every time you watch something through the Fox app because it's in 4K that's one less eyeball watching a Fox affiliate.

They have to do something, and the number of people who streamed the Super Bowl from Fox instead of watching it on their local affiliate may prove to be a turning point for them.
ATSC 3.0 does not require anything to be broadcast in 4K. ATSC 3.0 is purely voluntary because it is expensive to switch. I hope more do switch to ATSC 3.0 because the OTA signal is significantly more stable. ATSC 3.0 allows for much greater bandwidth, thus allowing for more sub channels. If anything, I would expect to see OTA 1080p HLG, which probably will look just as good as 4K HDR streaming. A day will come when cable and satellite tv will be dead. Because with all the sub channels on ATSC, companies like Disney, can load up their ABC affiliates with ESPN, Disney, etc on their sub channels that you subscribe to. All the networks will do that.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have a Gigabit Fiber connection. I have an AppleTV 4K (wired) and multiple FireTV 4K sticks. My wired AppleTV would show 4K for a few minutes then revert to worse than HD. This happened during the season as well. My FireTV 4K HDR looked fantastic but would freeze, buffer and start streaming lower res than hd. Wifi connection showed 300+ connection and wired connection showed a 850+ connection. Missed the 1st half and halftime. I finally deleted the app on FireTV and reinstalled and it worked for about 10 mins then started acting up. After deleting AppleTV app and reinstalling, had a solid picture for the most part for the rest of the game.

FWIW, I worked professionally in streaming HD for work for several years. This was a horrible experience tonight. When it worked, the HDR feed was awesome. I wish I could have enjoyed the game in HDR tonight. Maybe they will stream some XFL games in 4K.

181 - 200 of 268 Posts