AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The basic story line, for those who live under a rock: The forty second Super Bowl is even of greater interest than usual for NFL fans, because one of the teams, the New England Patriots, are undefeated with a 16-0 regular season record and are 2-0 in this years playoffs. With a win in the Super Bowl, the Patriots can become only the third team in pro football history to go undefeated for an entire season through regular and post season play. The 1972 Miami Dolphins, experienced a perfect 17-0 season, and the Cleveland Browns, then members of the All-America Football Conference finished 15-0 in 1948.

By popular demand, have at it.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I do Blu........Go Giants

What a shame really, the Pats came this close only to lose in the last game of their extended season, oh well, at least it will be to a better team

·
Registered
551 Posts
Go Giants!

Not so much because I like them as because the Pats will be all I hear about around here for the next 6 months from the overly annoying fans. I find my co-workers' predictions of New England winning by at least 21 hilarious - it makes me wonder if any of them watched the game the last time these two teams played.

Some background: I moved to New England about 5 years ago. When I first got here, the only stickers on anyone's cars were Patriots stickers (and all the new Flying Elvis logo). A few years later, the Sox won the series and suddenly this was Red Sox nation and those stickers showed up. It wasn't until this year that I ever heard anyone even acknowledge that the Celtics existed (besides the occasional trip down memory lane). I'm still waiting to hear anyone say anything about the Bruins.

·
Registered
998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/12938975

The forty second Super Bowl is even of greater interest than usual for NFL fans, because one of the teams, the New England Patriots, are undefeated

^^^ above is opinion.

I have little interest in watching the Pats in a Superbowl. We've seen enough of them. They were exposed as cheaters-- the NFL fined the Pats $250,000, the coach was fined the maximum allowed $500,000, and the NFL took away a first round draft pick from the Pats.

I doubt that anyone who lives outside of New England is exciting by this Superbowl matchup. The Superbowl would have had more viewers if the Colts, Cowboys, or Packers were playing-- they have a national following. People would root for one of those teams to beat the Pats which would make the Superbowl interesting.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser /forum/post/12939161

I doubt that anyone who lives outside of New England is exciting by this Superbowl matchup.

Like I've said to you before, you will proven 100% wrong. This will be one of the highest rated TV programs of all time.

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:

I doubt that anyone who lives outside of New England is exciting by this Superbowl matchup.

I don't live in New England and am not a fan of either team, yet I'm excited by the game.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/12939399

I don't live in New England and am not a fan of either team, yet I'm excited by the game.

I don't live In New England and am not a fan of either team, yet I'm unexcited by the game.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Like what was discussed in the other forum, no team is invincible. Someone brought up the 85 Bears and the close games they had. Another example is the 1990 49ers, which I thought was a great team. They won a few games by 1,3, and 4 points. The 2 games they lost to were the Rams (5-11) and the Saints(8-8). I believe any team can be beat on any given day, regardless of who the other team is.

·
Registered
260 Posts

Quote:

^^^ above is opinion.

I have little interest in watching the Pats in a Superbowl. We've seen enough of them. They were exposed as cheaters-- the NFL fined the Pats $250,000, the coach was fined the maximum allowed $500,000, and the NFL took away a first round draft pick from the Pats.

I doubt that anyone who lives outside of New England is exciting by this Superbowl matchup. The Superbowl would have had more viewers if the Colts, Cowboys, or Packers were playing-- they have a national following. People would root for one of those teams to beat the Pats which would make the Superbowl interesting.

Ah, ok, you do realize that the taping was not the "crime" but the location of the taping?

And just so you know, the Pats get the highest ratings in the NFL, not those fake "America's Teams" you've mentioned.

Oh, and they will be picking 7th in the upcoming draft

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Quote:

^^^ above is opinion.

I doubt that anyone who lives outside of New England is exciting by this Superbowl matchup. The Superbowl would have had more viewers if the Colts, Cowboys, or Packers were playing-- they have a national following.
Are you kidding me? If the Texans were trying to finish off a 19-0 season the game would get boffo numbers even though nobody outside of Houston gives a damn about them. This is history. And the only people that care about the alleged "cheating" anymore are Jets, Bills and Dolphins fans.

Just look at the numbers the Pats and Giants playoff games drew. This is going to be one of the most watched - ever.

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe /forum/post/12939508

I don't live In New England and am not a fan of either team, yet I'm unexcited by the game.

Do you have to babysit the station and transmitter that night?

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:

It gets a little old seeing this argument made when people don't have the facts, so let me clear this up once and for all:

Fact: Taping the other team in your home stadium is legal. The rules only regulate as to where.

Fact: The taping in that first game went on for the first half of the first quarter. The camera was immediately confiscated thereafter, so no review could possibly have been done and the Patriots got no advantage whatsoever from it in that game, or for the rest of the season.

Fact: Even if the Patriots had not been caught, each team's signals and strategies change from week to week, so reviewing it would have given them practically no benefit. The only possible benefit would have been at halftime of that particular game, and even then it's arguable that it would help.

Fact: Knowing the opposition's signals is something that happens fairly often in the NFL via other means, even including lip-reading. It doesn't win you the game, because the players still have to execute, which is 95% of the game.

Everyone around the NFL knows these facts, which is why, when interviewed, almost all of them downplayed it and said it's no big deal. Only fans of other teams have made a fuss, because it gives them an excuse to hate a team that's doing well.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/12939811

Do you have to babysit the station and transmitter that night?

Yep..We handle 2 FOX affiliates, so I'll be at the studio for one, with guys at the other studio and both transmitters..

·
Registered
499 Posts

Quote:

Well New York is outside of New England so I am thinking us Giants fans will be excited. Most Giants fans are also Yankee fans so it will be big if the G-Men can end the perfect season. Week 17 ratings were no fluke.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
GO GIANTS!!!

To reiterate my predictions from the closed thread

Giants 24
Pats 21
and...

97 million U.S. viewers

I certainly respect the Patriots and their organization. If the Giants were not playing in the Super Bowl I'd be rooting for BB and company. They are one of the greatest teams of all time but their run for perfection will end. The regular Joes are going to win. And-- this will be one of the highest rated Super Bowls.

·
Registered
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia /forum/post/12940754

Are most Jets fans also Mets fans?

Yup, in general.

Giants, Yankees, Rangers, Knicks.

Jets, Mets, Nets, Devils/Islanders.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts