AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I say super budget, I mean around $100. I'm a college student and I really can't afford better. I'm in a small room (14.5 x 7.5 x 7.5) or 900 cubic feet approximately.

I would also prefer a subwoofer included with the speakers because most of the music I play bass is an important factor but I guess at this price range I can't expect much, just recommend whatever gives the best immersive experience .

Going to use these speakers for music, movies, TV shows and games from my computer.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Pioneer BS-22. They can be had frequently for under $100.

If you find a set of speakers, including the sub for $100, it will be junk. Don't bother with it. The BS-22's have surprising bass for their size. Start with those, then add a sub later when you can afford to.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the recs guys, I'm actually at a cross as to which speakers to buy so I'll make a separate thread about it. Your help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I would go with a pair of these: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...90-3-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/1.html

They have an 8" woofer and will do a great job filling a dorm room. You can drive them with just about anything, maybe a t-amp or a used receiver from Craigslist.

Used is another good option, see if you have any Paradigm 5/7 SE speakers near you, they are excellent speakers and should be in your range.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I decided to post it in this thread after all.
So after much research I decided it would be either:
Pioneer BS22s ......or
the Micca MB42X pair

*The Yamahas are too expensive and the Sound Appeal didn't have enough reviews for me to be confident in buying them.

Sooo which one should I get between these two considering I'm planning to turn the setup into a 5.1 in the far/semi-far future? I'm hooking it up with my PC so I guess I'll need an amp? Which amp should I get?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would road trip with some buddies to NYC for a weekend (in a station wagon or SUV). Do whatever it is college kids do these days for fun (I'm guessing whatever that is is at least 10x more fun in NYC). Before you head back to campus on Sunday, I would then pick up my old Cerwin Vega AT-10s for the low price of $0. Then I would spend $25 on a kit to re-foam them. Bam, got yourself a bargain pair of speakers that were born to blast loud noise at college kids while doubling as coasters for two dozen red plastic cups half filled with Milwaukee's Best.

·
Registered
19,558 Posts
Pioneer BS22s ......or
the Micca MB42X pair

*The Yamahas are too expensive and the Sound Appeal didn't have enough reviews for me to be confident in buying them.

Sooo which one should I get between these two
What you buy is up to you - I have owned the Pioneer and I have the Micca coming tomorrow.
However, I do expect the Micca to fall short - I will still give them a fair shake against those
Sound Appeal speakers, just for the sake of testing.

I have also owned some Yamaha cheap 3 way speakers - and I prefer both Sound Appeal and
Pioneer over them.

Sound Appeal, Micca and Pioneer have return policies - so it is your call. Also, I never make
choices based on a voting poll - no one can speak for your ears.

Your call - have fun

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Pioneer BS22s ......or
the Micca MB42X pair

Sooo which one should I get between these two considering I'm planning to turn the setup into a 5.1 in the far/semi-far future? I'm hooking it up with my PC so I guess I'll need an amp? Which amp should I get?
Since you don't have a subwoofer I would look towards the Pioneer's. They have slightly more bass compared to the Micca's.

Another option for $100 pair of speakers
-Manufacturer Refurbished Polk Audio R300 2-Way BLACK Tower Speakers [PAIR], $95 shipped

$100 though won't get you far. You will need to get an amp/reciever for the speakers which is another $150 for a refurbished unit. So that is $250 total. Then you really should have a subwoofer for that is another minimum $100. Total of $350.

If these are just going to be computer desk speakers for your dorm room you might want to consider, just a simple 2.1 computer speaker set-up the Logitech THX 2.1 of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 computer speakers were great when I was in college. 5 years ago

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am actually planning to buy the Pioneers (used) now......and they're not desk speakers, they're a replacement for my current 5.1 system for my TV (which is crappy & broken....in fact I'm pretty sure the bass on the Pioneers would outclass my subwoofer lol)

@zieglj01 : I know that personal preference trumps everything else but I never had a hi-fi system before so I don't know even the basics of these things. The best type of audio device I ever listened to were my beats wireless and my $80 5.1 setup from altec lansing. I only just learned about "high quality" audio.

With that said I still don't know which amp I should get (and $150 for an amp?) What about those Lepai ones that are like $30?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I would road trip with some buddies to NYC for a weekend (in a station wagon or SUV). Do whatever it is college kids do these days for fun (I'm guessing whatever that is is at least 10x more fun in NYC). Before you head back to campus on Sunday, I would then pick up my old Cerwin Vega AT-10s for the low price of $0. Then I would spend $25 on a kit to re-foam them. Bam, got yourself a bargain pair of speakers that were born to blast loud noise at college kids while doubling as coasters for two dozen red plastic cups half filled with Milwaukee's Best.
Oh how I wish I were still a college student now

·
Registered
19,558 Posts
I am actually planning to buy the Pioneers (used) now......and they're not desk speakers, they're a replacement for my current 5.1 system for my TV (which is crappy & broken....in fact I'm pretty sure the bass on the Pioneers would outclass my subwoofer lol)

@zieglj01 : I know that personal preference trumps everything else but I never had a hi-fi system before so I don't know even the basics of these things. The best type of audio device I ever listened to were my beats wireless and my $80 5.1 setup from altec lansing. I only just learned about "high quality" audio.

With that said I still don't know which amp I should get (and $150 for an amp?) What about those Lepai ones that are like $30?
Getting some Pioneer used is a good deal

For an amp - I would look at the SMSL amp
http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-TDA7492-...UTF8&qid=1428473077&sr=8-1&keywords=sa150+amp

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
probably will
Just know the limits of the Lepai. It will drive the speakers to moderate volumes, but after about half volume you are going to be getting a good bit of distortion, and can risk clipping the amp. Keep it under 50% and you should be good.

Reactions: zieglj01
1 - 20 of 28 Posts