AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anybody is interested in picking this up, it just went back online at Amazon for pre-sales. Amazon was out of its allotment for almost a week before it came back.


I ordered one. Not sure if this Limited Edition really means its going to be limited availability, but for what its worth I've never seen Amazon pull a pre-order down.


At least its back up. For now anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
Man this game really disappointed me. I really thought they would do more than, seriously, an exact port of the SNES game. I would have liked revamped wii graphics for all these games, or at least formatted for wide screen, but, nothing...Even the music CD that was packed in left a lot to be desired. Is the big N not trying very hard lately?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,737 Posts
It is formatted for widescreen, just like the Virtual Console demos on Super Smash Brothers.


When you select the 16x9 mode on your Wii, it places black pillars on both sides of the screen so you don't have to move your television off the stretch mode like you have to do with Virtual Console games.


I enjoyed it, but was disappointed with the artwork booklet that came with it. Wasn't a very interesting bonus. I haven't tried the audio cd yet.


But overall, I liked it. They were straight forward with what it was, people had been clamoring for Super Mario All-Stars in Virtual Console wishlist since day 1, and people in many communities that lean towards classic gaming that wanted this to see the light of day again prefer physical release over downloads. So I think it's recieved some undue flak from the very people that wanted to see it be rereleased and people that tend to criticize digital downloads, such as the classic gaming community at Digital Press for one example that I'm familiar with. Nintendo seems to be getting flak for doing just what many people wanted to see.


Nintendo had an idle asset that people were demanding, saw a marketing opportunity, and took it by releasing the game the only way possible which was on a physical disc. And they tossed in some bonuses to justify the price along with the perk of actually owning a game on physical media. The NES downloads cost $21 in total, so releasing it as an 800 point download on the Virtual Console was likely never considered since it would destroy sales of some of their most popular downloads.


This likely only existed because it was cheap and required a miniumum amount of resources (It's a Virtual Console game on a disc). I don't think any considerations like remaking this remake were ever in play. I doubt we'd of seen a release if it hadn't been so easy and cheap to do, so I doubt this release "cheated" us out of a more ambitious celebration of the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Brothers.


About all I'd of loved to have seen would've been seeing the E-Reader add-ons from the GBA port, many of which we never got here in the States, being backported to the SuperNes port of SMB3. I think the remakes of SMB2 and SMB3 are just about perfect the way they are and can't imagine the NSMB era of Nintendo being able to improve upon them (Although I'm not as crazy about the redone versions of SMB and SMB2J, which I didn't care for in 1993 either).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioBeer /forum/post/19918476


Man this game really disappointed me. I really thought they would do more than, seriously, an exact port of the SNES game. I would have liked revamped wii graphics for all these games, or at least formatted for wide screen, but, nothing...Even the music CD that was packed in left a lot to be desired. Is the big N not trying very hard lately?

QFT.


This game was/is a steaming pile of garbage. I mean, come on, not even a half arsed effort to stretch it to 16:9??


Pathetic.


The fact that Nintendo put out any games for the Wii that were 4:3 is downright shameful IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,737 Posts
I liked it, but I'll spare the board from a second long winded reply that rewords what I've already said.


I will add that you can accomplish what you want fairly easily. Reset your Wii to 4:3 mode while leaving your television on the setting that fills your screen.


Then your game will be distorted to take up every inch of real estate like you want since you will be bypassing it's 16x9 formatting meant to preserve it's correct aspect ratio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Wouldnt converting the game to widescreen change it completely? If you could see further ahead on some levels the difficulty would be greatly reduced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For some reason I find that there is appreciable controller lag playing All Stars as opposed to native Mario Wii games.


This controller lag is really irritating the crap out of me too. Some of the latter boards of these games are tough enough as it is w/o introducing controller lag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
Thats how they do business. I bet you they will have another mario all stars game later with super mario world 2 and mario is missing or maybe even mario 64.


The sega gennessis collection was gamn good deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,143 Posts
I had no idea this was out till I actually stumbled across it the other day. If Nintendo had taken it one step further and included Mario 64, Sunshine, and Super Mario World and presented it as a package of all their previous pre-Wii platformers, I'd have bought it without hesitation. As it is I already own the SNES version of this( along with my treasured SNES of course) so I'll pass...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Agh, I really want to play Mario Sunshine on Wii. I never had a gamecube
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw /forum/post/19932568


I had no idea this was out till I actually stumbled across it the other day. If Nintendo had taken it one step further and included Mario 64, Sunshine, and Super Mario World and presented it as a package of all their previous pre-Wii platformers, I'd have bought it without hesitation. As it is I already own the SNES version of this( along with my treasured SNES of course) so I'll pass...

I too would have bought that without hesitation.


For now, my Virtual Console editions work just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,737 Posts
While that would've been a nice collection that I'd of loved to have seen, it's obvious why it wasn't going to happen. Things like Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 have sold millions of downloads on the Wii while Super Mario All-Stars managed by itself to easily and quickly sell out as a $30 retail product.


So why kill sales of some of your most popular downloads just to enhance a product that apparantly most consumers didn't think needed enhancing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames /forum/post/19935294


While that would've been a nice collection that I'd of loved to have seen, it's obvious why it wasn't going to happen. Things like Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 have sold millions of downloads on the Wii while Super Mario All-Stars managed by itself to easily and quickly sell out as a $30 retail product.


So why kill sales of some of your most popular downloads just to enhance a product that apparantly most consumers didn't think needed enhancing?

For that matter, with all the NES mario titles available for cheap on VC, why would they bother releasing Mario All-stars period? Clearly they must have enough faith that releasing this won't impact the standalone VC titles. Adding 64 likely won't impact the VC version as there are people who just like the convenience of digital content. And there is obviously no VC version of sunshine, nor any new copies of said game on the market.


As is I'll stick with my snes version,no biggie. I'm sure plenty will still gobble it up. I'm only suggesting more could have been done with it and they could have easily charged full retail, and made a killing. Those who prefer owning these titles digitally will continue to buy them regardless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames /forum/post/1993529


Super Mario All-Stars managed by itself to easily and quickly sell out as a $30 retail product.

Not exactly. Look on the Amazon Marketplace and Ebay. There are tons of them selling for more than double of the actual MSRP. Much like the Wii, it isn't that it was insanely popular among fans. It was gobbled up by every greedy A-hole wanting to profit off of this game by selling it for a ridiculous price because they thought it might be popular. Every single one on the Amazon Marketplace is still sitting in the same spot it has been since they were first posted selling for 70 bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio /forum/post/19936614


Not exactly. Look on the Amazon Marketplace and Ebay. There are tons of them selling for more than double of the actual MSRP. Much like the Wii, it isn't that it was insanely popular among fans. It was gobbled up by every greedy A-hole wanting to profit off of this game by selling it for a ridiculous price because they thought it might be popular. Every single one on the Amazon Marketplace is still sitting in the same spot it has been since they were first posted selling for 70 bucks.

Noticed that. Walked in a few shops in NYC last week and noted plenty on the shelf for $39.99.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw /forum/post/19936722


Noticed that. Walked in a few shops in NYC last week and noted plenty on the shelf for $39.99.

Yeah. I refuse to make some jerk on Ebay rich. I will go without instead of paying some ridiculous inflated price. I would have pre-ordered it if I thought it would have been something special. My brother got it the day it came out and showed me what was in it. It's simply a ROM dump and the emulator it runs on. Perhaps the reason why people are complaining about input lag is because the emulator that is used sucks. Lag is often present in emulation unless it's a really good emulator. Other than that the extras that came with it are a complete joke.


I myself don't need it since I own every major Mario title including All-Stars. Plus I can emulate it perfectly without lag on my BSNES emulator. The fact that they didn't include the NES versions, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and even Mario 64 makes this collection completely worthless. This title was nothing more than a shameless money grab, even at only 30 bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio /forum/post/19936614


Not exactly. Look on the Amazon Marketplace and Ebay. There are tons of them selling for more than double of the actual MSRP.

If it's already been bought once, even if it was just done on speculation with an eye towards reselling it for a large profit, it's still been sold in my eyes. I think you'll fine that must online stores and brick and morter retailers have sold out of their stock with the game largely only being available from resalers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw /forum/post/19936420


For that matter, with all the NES mario titles available for cheap on VC, why would they bother releasing Mario All-stars period? Clearly they must have enough faith that releasing this won't impact the standalone VC titles.

Because I imagine they suspected many Virtual Console buyers were going to double dip to get the enhanced versions and they figured they could attract people that might've never even taken their Wii online in the past that haven't bought the Virtual Console versions. The numbers I've seen show a huge percentage of Wii's as having never been taken online, so this product can reach those individuals where $5 downloads can't.


I'm pretty confident what they didn't want to do was rerelease this compilation at a price that was going to significantly undercut the $21 it cost to buy the NES originals since sales are still healthy for the VC versions. I think that's why this entire release happened and why we never saw it as an $8 download Virtual Console download. At the price this goes for, their Virtual Console sales on the $5-6 downloads are still safe and they're also able to make money off this valuable asset of theirs that was just sitting idle. It hasn't devalued the downloads, which I'm sure was considered necessary internally at Nintendo in any rerelease plans for Super Mario All-Stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw /forum/post/19936420


. Adding 64 likely won't impact the VC version as there are people who just like the convenience of digital content.

Of course (I'm one of those people you just described, as a matter of fact). But many more are just buying these downloads just in order to play the games and relive their memories, not because of the convenience factor. Why would they buy a $10 download when there is this $20 retail compilation that includes a certain game and a ton more content that cost significantly more to purchase individually as downloads?


The answer is, they wouldn't and Nintendo would be making far less money off these assets as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw /forum/post/19936420


And there is obviously no VC version of sunshine, nor any new copies of said game on the market.

I made it a point to not mention Super Mario Sunshine. But I imagine if they have any rerelease plans for it, it would be as a New Play Control release with significant rework done to it to incorporate motion controls since there's only one analog stick on the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo (And they wouldn't release something that required a add-on controller to be purchased to play).


But I suspect they're keeping that in reserve these days with the NPC line killed off with an eye towards a Wii successor with a large amount of storage space and enhanced online capabilities. Would be an impressive Virtual Console type download to headline that service on a Wii successor with other games like Wind Waker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio /forum/post/19939405


Perhaps the reason why people are complaining about input lag is because the emulator that is used sucks. Lag is often present in emulation unless it's a really good emulator. Other than that the extras that came with it are a complete joke.

It's the same emulator the Virtual Console uses, which is why people that have noticed it are so puzzled since it doesn't happen in other games. I can't say that I've noticed it for certain. I'm making mistakes like mistiming my jumps to reach the flagpoles in SMB, but can't say for certain if it's just because I haven't played the cartridge in a couple of years or something else is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio /forum/post/19939405


The fact that they didn't include the NES versions, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and even Mario 64 makes this collection completely worthless. This title was nothing more than a shameless money grab, even at only 30 bucks.

I won't go too deeply into it again, but don't forget that they're a business with a responsibility to their shareholders. Those games you mentioned are making lots of money as downloads (With Yoshi's Island apparantly due to recieve the 3D effect and become a 3DS download relatively soon). So including so much content selling well on it's own already for higher prices than they would be as part of a single budget compilation (Which is selling well with just a single game), wouldn't of been a very responsibile business decision.


I'd sure of loved to have seen it though. I'm in full agreement with you guys that such a thing would've been great to see rather than this rather straight forward release that saw a minimum of effort put into it. I'm not even entirely sure why I bought this Wii release when I have a Super Nintendo and the original cartridge sitting here ready to be played. I guess I was just curious how it turned out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames /forum/post/19941580


I won't go too deeply into it again, but don't forget that they're a business with a responsibility to their shareholders. Those games you mentioned are making lots of money as downloads (With Yoshi's Island apparantly due to recieve the 3D effect and become a 3DS download relatively soon). So including so much content selling well on it's own already for higher prices than they would be as part of a single budget compilation (Which is selling well with just a single game), wouldn't of been a very responsibile business decision.

I understand that it was all business. That doesn't mean it was good business. I'm sure many pre-ordered it knowing that it would have been quickly bought up by Ebayers if they wanted one. They then got it home only to realize that it was a rip off. So if they wanted to make money on all the other titles not included in this ROM dump, then the honorable thing to do would have been to release All-Stars on the VC and produce something really special for the 25th Anniversary. Perhaps remake Mario 1, 2 , and 3 in NSMB style or something and provide really in depth literature of the history of SMB wrapped up in one 50 or even 60 dollar package. I would have bought that. Not some lazy ROM dump of a 16-bit remake. As a consumer I say F*** the share holders. Pitch a good product and I'll buy. Everyone makes their money and I go home happy.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top