AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Threats? What type of threats are these anonymous cowards making?

If they're threatening personal or property damage, you should definitely go to the police. If they're threatening legal action, too bad for them, the law is on your side. They should be grateful your hobby is HomeTheater and not Ham Radio.

As for the antenna, as a nondirectional antenna it probably wouldn't work very well for most situations; certainly not for pulling in the SF stations from where you are.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
A littel more info from an email response about the LTVA antennas:

Our LTVA's are mid gain antennas, with a 10 db amp built into the tube itself. The amp is then powered by a power injector that must have a direct line to the antenna, and it must be plugged into a 110 outlet. In most situations our antenna is equal to traditional antennas. Our is omni directional in most cases. Every home is different so there is no true way to compare, every antenna will perform differently in each and every home. Most who purchase our LTVA's can mount them in the recommended positions and locations, and they will get a great signal. But there are always customers who must tune it more than the average person. In those respects it is similar to all antennas, you must find the best positions and location for your home.

They are installed, normally on the roof in whichever position you get the best signal in. Most find it works best in a horizontal position, perpendicular to the signal. Those who are getting signals from more than one direction find it tends to work best in the vertical.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've had letters from the Home Owners Association as well as the threating letters, and have pointed out that I within my rights to have an antenna (I think I even sited the same URL given above). The anonymous letters were vague threats, it wasn't clear whether it was physical or legal threats they were making just that "we are not going to be so nice in the future". I filed a police report but the police say there is nothing they can do at this point, call them back if some property is damaged or if we are attacked.

I did offer to go up on my roof and lower the antenna a few feet so it was not quite so obvious from the street (I don't like how it looks either), but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm in no rush because as I said before I don't really want to give in to the *******s when I am within my rights.

They have a 30-day "No Questions Asked" refund policy for the antenna so I might get one and give it a try.

------------------
Craig
My Home Theater

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I would suggest that you go to the homeowners' association with the letters in hand, point out that you are within your legal rights, and ask them to enforce your legal rights.

I have a townhouse in Monterey where some owners have DBS dishes. The homeowners' association put in the minutes the fact that these dishes were entirely legal. That stopped the comments.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:
I would suggest that you go to the homeowners' association with the letters in hand, point out that you are within your legal rights, and ask them to enforce your legal rights.
I've talked with the President of the HOA and wrote my letter to him and he understands the issue, he even talked to our local congresswoman about when HDTV would be available on cable and whether I was just the start of a flood. He understands that I within my right and he is not asking me to remove it, just try to make it not so visible. That was why I agreed to try lowering it. He's been very reasonable and I think it's only fair that I am too.

The concern is the neighbor writing the threatening letters. I don't know what they may or may not do.

------------------
Craig
My Home Theater

·
Registered
423 Posts
Does anybody know anything about the Super Max Stealth Antenna described here . They say that it handles UHF/VHF reception up to 60 miles away while being tucked underneath your gutter. I guess it's possible but I'm skeptical.

I'm considering it because I've been getting threating anonymous letters from neighbors demanding that I remove my antenna. As much as I hate to cave in to threats I am considering it.

------------------
Craig
My Home Theater

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The description on the site you posted mentions that this GE antenna incorporates "omnidirectional" design parameters. That immediately raises a red flag for me since it implies virtually no rejection of multipath. Maybe I've misinterpreted something here, so take my comments with a large grain of salt. If you do get one, let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If there is a return policy, you have nothing to lose by trying that antenna. You may also want to check out the Channel Master Stealthtenna. It is fairly small and inconspicuous, and I have had great performance from mine. The way I have mounted it on the roof of my home just to see the top of the it you have to be at a certain angle looking up. Although I don't live under a HOA, a deal breaker for the antenna was aesthetics, and this one has pleased everyone involved. Good luck in finding a solution!

--Andrew

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Can you put your current antenna in your "attic". You lose a bit of gain, but if you are within 20 miles or so of your towers it works OK.

SM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.