AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some superbits dvds from other majors :D , with no or minimal supplement, FULL RATE DTS and very high video bit rate (6.5 -9.5mbps):

THE JACKAL

THE CELL (Japan)

CUTTHROAT ISLAND (Japan)

SOLDIER (Japan)

APOLLO 13

THE 6TH DAY (Japan)

12 MONKEYS

UNIVERSAL SOLDIERS (Japan)

WATERWORLD

MERCURY RISING

LAKE PLACID (Japan)

RIVER WILD

DANTE's PEAK

THE PEACEMAKER

:)

just shows the dvd market is ... weird :D : some smart ideas by majors, then loaded up 1/2 rate dts SE, then superbit.

tss tss tss :rolleyes:

I have a few of those titles. Frankly, the only probable compromise to satisfy everyone while avoiding several simultaneous releases would be dts full rate ( but it's too late it seems: marketing speaking, it could backfire..... ), dolby 5.1 and the entire rest for the video ( with a few subs and one menu: NO EXTRA on disc one please! and if ya wanaa the p&s crap, on side two! and disc 2 with extras.

it's still a compromise compared to the former 1509 dts + 2.0 only releases.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Apollo 13's PQ is absolutely atrocious! Somehow when I think Superbit, that's not one that comes to mind.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Isn't the compressed DTS track in the SB edition of TFE better than the original DD???? Then what is all the fuss....it's better than the original disc we all thought was good already.....Sometimes I think we are all (including me) hung up on the numbers game. Sure more bits are better, but I personally couldn't expect any better sound than what was presented in TFE SB.....I guess I'm more of a videophile now. :)

Don't forget to enjoy the movie!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Quote:
Apollo 13's PQ is absolutely atrocious!
vruiz,

This is interesting. I have heard others write that Apollo 13 is a good DVD transfer. But, when I watch that DVD on my 96" FP, it looks flat and very soft, almost blurry at times. I have been tempted to ask others if it was just me. It has made me wonder if there is something not set right on my system, since others have given it high marks. I would be interested to hear if there are others that feel this is a bad transfer. -Pat

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
 http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ollo13_dts.htm

only culprit: a bit soft.

now, those titles I listed, I don't have all or seen all. I have Cisland, Peacemaker, Jackal for instance and see 6th day for instance.

what I meant is that the "idea" or the "principle" of "superbit" at one time was considered and experimented and still is, kinda, in Japan ( aside from Columbia's superbit ). I did not mean all the above dvds were stunning in their video but that the bitrate is generally very high, in the superbit level. It does not hamper problems with telecine transfers or so, bits don't do everything, there's other stuff that play a role of course.

but we can't disagree with the fact that claiming maximized sound is "just" 754 dts. though, if video was maximized, then it should have used 99% of the dvd 9 capacity :D too so, where's the limit ?

Yet, if CUTTHROAT ISLAND, PEACEMAKER and JACKAL for instance can have bit rate (mpbs) of 7.5-9.5 AND 1509 dts, it can be done :D ( full rate dts and 2.0 dolby)

Marketing-commercial obligations hamper that on the superbit dvds.

·
Registered
588 Posts
David600,

I had read that very same review a long time ago. And, that's when I began to question whether it was my system or my eyes. It does not look good to me. But, discs like Braveheart do look fantastic on my system (with my eyes :cool: ).

Is there a quick place to find bitrates used for the movie on any given disc? Now I am very curious. I know that I could monitor it but I rather not have to, if someone else already has! -Pat

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I believe the two disc DTS "Dances With Wolves" was actually the first "Superbit" DVD. DTS had an ax to grind and something to prove.

Jeff Hipps

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I agree with Jeff. DWW was the first super duper disc. (great movie too)

Eric

·
Registered
193 Posts
Opening up the video bitrate by itself does nothing for the final DVD, if the underlying source doesn't contain information (i.e. detail) not included in the low bitrate DVD. (That's a mouthful.)

In other words, the high bitrate allows the operator open up the flood gates, putting more detail into the picture that will end up on the disc.

The Superbit discs put REAL MEAT into the picture, not just the high bitrate. I agree with others- Apollo 13 is not one of my reference discs. Using high bitrate with low detail material (from a less than optimum source) is just lazy encoding, IMO.

Todd

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what did I say Tod ? :) :

"I did not mean all the above dvds were stunning in their video but that the bitrate is generally very high, in the superbit level. It does not hamper problems with telecine transfers or so, bits don't do everything, there's other stuff that play a role of course. "

·
Registered
6 Posts
there was a time when DTS LDs were the end-all be-all for audio

now in hindsight - rose colored asses? - it appears that was but an evolutionary step, waiting for the video to catch up with that full bit DTS audio on the big platters.

still, there isn't a dts dvd that can measure upto the best-souding of the DTS lds, imho.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.