AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any Superbit DVD titles at CC, Wallymart, etc.... Did they stop making them??

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Their last couple of releases were, at best, mediocre. Riverdance? C'mon get real. But overall there are some good releases out there; you just have to search for them. Our local A+B Sound has a dedicated section for Superbit/DTS DVD's and I believe there are over 40 SB titles to choose from.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I can't seem to justify the cost of these DVD's, they sell for loads more here ( Oz ) than your average DVD with no extra's or anything.

Mark

·
Registered
493 Posts
Expect a SuperBit version of Spiderman this summer.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Spiderman Superbit is already out in Japan, not really new is it? It's not so much that the later superbits were mediocre, it's more that recent non superbit releases have been pretty good anyway.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
it's more that recent non superbit releases have been pretty good anyway.

Exactly. The good news is that the need for Superbits is way down since they are authoring DVD's better in the first place.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SmithMK
I can't seem to justify the cost of these DVD's, they sell for loads more here ( Oz ) than your average DVD with no extra's or anything.

Mark
But that's the whole point of Superbits. There's no room on the disk for extras because they've used the capacity of the DVD to store higher bitrate video and a DTS soundtrack. I have the Superbit releases of MIB I/II and The Fifth Element and have been very impressed with the quality of their audio/video.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chasin
...There's no room on the disk for extras because they've used the capacity of the DVD to store higher bitrate video and a DTS soundtrack....
You sure fell hook, line, and sinker to Sony's propaganda. ;) Almost all Sony SB titles have at least a GB of unused space.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Superbit isn't about higher bit rates, it's about keeping more high frequency information intact i.e. more detail. Most people don't have the equipment to see this detail so moan that Superbit is a marketing scam. Superbit simply means they put more of an effort in to the transfer. Keeping the high frequncy information makes it more likely that compression artefacts will crop up.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
Yeh Jeffy you can keep telling yourself that but when i notice that Charlies Angels Superbit still has over 3 gigabytes of disc space left i start asking questions, would anyone out there like to compare Superbit Charlies Angels with Non Superbit Charlies Angels and tell me they can see a difference ?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by William
You sure fell hook, line, and sinker to Sony's propaganda. ;) Almost all Sony SB titles have at least a GB of unused space.

I have a dozen SB Titles. I could care less about any extras. In fact, of the 200 or so DVDs I own, I've only watched one Easter Egg on Star Wars AOTC. I just wanted to see what an Easter Egg was. I barely have time to watch movies, let alone any extras. Give me better picture and audio, and scrap the extras. I'll take the hook, line, and sinker EVERY single time.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:
Superbit isn't about higher bit rates, it's about keeping more high frequency information intact i.e. more detail. Most people don't have the equipment to see this detail so moan that Superbit is a marketing scam. Superbit simply means they put more of an effort in to the transfer. Keeping the high frequncy information makes it more likely that compression artefacts will crop up.
While you have got it right that using a higher bitrate can allow more detail to be included without causing artifacting, you have sort of missed the point. Other studio's have been releaseing DVD's with the same or even higher bitrates than superbits, complete with title-specific menu's, good looking packaging, and extras galore! They just use more than one disc to do it.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Sony from releasing two-disc editions with the film on one disc and the extras on the second like other studios have been doing. They have been intentionally botching their first-run releases and then releasing Superbits later on to rake in more money. First there's the obvious double-dip benefits. Then they force people with good setup's to choose between extras and a properly done transfer, or better yet, force them to buy both versions!

It's a scam, plain and simple. No matter how many people realize this, there will still be more idiots clammoring for more precious Superbits. When faced with thousands of morons holding out their wallets saying "Please Sony! Take more of my money!", how can they possibly resist? It's obscene.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
As usual, I'll take that a step further. All releases on DVD should either be one disc and no extras or multiple discs with no extras on the movie disc.

The movie, and only the movie, belongs on a disc by itself. And that disc should have less than 1MB of left over space after the movie is encoded.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cor
While you have got it right that using a higher bitrate can allow more detail to be included without causing artifacting, you have sort of missed the point. Other studio's have been releaseing DVD's with the same or even higher bitrates than superbits, complete with title-specific menu's, good looking packaging, and extras galore! They just use more than one disc to do it.
It's NOT about high bit rates, its about high frequency information. Which other studios don't filter out the high frequency detail?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:
It's NOT about high bit rates, its about high frequency information. Which other studios don't filter out the high frequency detail?
The two go hand in hand, mostly. A high bit-rate allows you to filter less high frequency data out. Conversely, a lower bitrate forces you to do so or face massive compression artifacts. It's just plain silly to filter out more data than needed to make a given datarate work. I'm not saying that nobody out there is silly. I'm just saying that Sony doesn't have a monopoly on intellegence. If there are other transfers out there with the same, or better bitrates than Superbits, odds are that some of the people making those transfers knew what they were doing. Here are some examples:
  • Gattaca (Columbia/Tri-Star Non-Superbit): 541 KB/s avg
  • Nine Queens (Columbia Tri-Star Non-Superbit): 556 KB/s avg
  • The Fifth Element (Columbia/Tristar Non-Superbit): 564 KB/s avg
  • Das Boot (Columbia/Tri-Star Non-Superbit): 666 KB/s avg
  • The Vikings (MGM): 820 KB/s avg
  • X-Men 1 (Fox): 833 KB/s avg
  • Gladiator (Dreamworks): 844 KB/s avg
  • Beaty and the Beast (Criterion): 844 KB/s avg
  • Mark of Zorro (Superbit): 848 KB/s avg
  • Stargate Ultimate Edition (Artisan): 848 KB/s avg
  • The Mission (Warner): 850 KB/s avg
  • Equilibrium (Alliance Atlantis): 866 KB/s avg
  • Alien (Fox): 922 KB/s avg
  • Sunrise (Fox): 922 KB/s avg
  • X-Men 2 (Fox): 942 KB/s avg
  • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Paramount): 993 KB/s avg
  • Se7en (New Line): 1033 KB/s avg
  • La Strada (Criterion): 1046 KB/s avg
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (Fox): 1059 KB/s avg
  • Heavy Metal (Superbit): 1077 KB/s avg (from a well-worn print unfortunately.)
  • Dances with Wolves (Image/Orion): 1099 KB/s avg (This is the OOP two-disc version with DTS from January, 1999)

Now, numbers don't necessarily tell the whole truth. I suggest you actually watch some of these closely. You will find that Sony is not the only company out there that occasionally leaves a lot of the high frequency detail in. Don't just blindly believe what their PR droid's have led you to believe.

(Edit: List bulleted, ordered by bitrate, and more titles added.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.